New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook G4 superdrive problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jasonbishop73

jasonbishop73 is an unknown at this point

Ok,
so I went through the drama a few weeks ago with my powerbook going to apple and the moron at the genius bar and all that. Now that i've gotten it back, i have noticed several times that if i dont give my cd a REALLY GOOD FLIP into the slot loading superdrive, that it chews on it for a second then spits it back out. I'm not really thinking about taking it in again, (i cant live without my PB4!) but i just want to know if this is a common problem with superdrives. I mean first my first one just up and swallows my cd and wont eject it no matter what. Now that I have it back, its doing this weird thing with the cd....

Oh well..could be worse...dead pixels have yet to grace me.

Thanks,
Jason
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

Just to add to your post there, i have the same issue with my PB from time to time...its not on every cd but the odd time it will happen. and i find morely on dvd's. I think the issue is that it has a problem either reading the disc or mounting it and just rejects it. When i first opened quark 6 dvd and tried to install that i spent 20 mins sticking this cd in and out and nothing worked...called up tech support and as soon as i got a tech on the line it start working, i asked the tech if this is a common issue, to which i got the standard responce " its not a common issue but yes it does happen from time to time " if its something that is happening everytime..then id think about sending it back but your call
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

did the samething for my superdrive, but i figured that it was my fault because i was using the wrong format. :/ but yah, hope you aren't doing the same mistake.. haha. yah, i called the genius bar and they were really condescending on me cuz i guess i was supposed to read the manual or something. :/ but yah, they plain out told me.. dvd-r only.. no dvd+r. so after a slight thank you, i hung up.. so their's my story for the day.
QUOTE Thanks
danparker

My superdrive does the same thing. It has quit for the most part. I think it is a combo of two things. 1: The wrong kinda disc. I know, they all look the same and it should just work...but it doesn't. The standards on recordable media are certainly not panned out at this time. and 2: I think you need to break it in a bit. It used to do it to me alot in my first month of use and I havn't had it happen in the last 6 months.
QUOTE Thanks
CyCo_CyBorG

hi
i got a PB G4 15" for about a month now (with OS X Panther) and a combo drive (not the superdrive)
and since about one week it won't read CD's/CDR's/CDRW's anymore, only DVD discs
if i insert a cd, it chews on it for about 5 seconds and spits it out again, even the install cd for my airport extreme base station
but dvd's it will accept and read (i tested a few movie DVD's, a self made DVD-R from my university, and the install DVD for OS X that came with the PB)

wath is wrong here? and how do i fix it? (i'm looking for the tech support email from the shop i bought it, but there contact page on the site is down)

this is rather unconvenient, because i do want to use my cd writer, and i have a rather large collection of divx on CD that i really want to keep

(i posted this here because my problem is similar to this one)

thx
QUOTE Thanks
Jarbo

My brother has a G4, 1ghz and 1 gig of ram. His will read, write all cdr's and cdrw's. It will also read a commerical DVD, but one recorded on a dvd-r it will not read. My G3 reads them just fine. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
jplace

I've had the same issue on my PBG4. It recently happened with a disk I know was OK. I had a finder window open at the time. When I closed that window and had only the desktop active, the disk mounted fine. Doesn't make technical sense, but it worked for me. I have not had the opportunity to test this.
QUOTE Thanks
Selby

Hello Jason,
My powerbook had the same problem but it got worse and worse, in the end the drive spins the cd/dvd and then spits it out. It makes some stressed sounds.
I think I have to buy a new one, because I did the the Pram and power manager reset.

Can someone advise me what superdrive I should buy?
Selby

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15" DVI
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

sometimes ill put a cd or dvd in and it wont give it back, at all. ill have to restart it and eject it while my systems booting up
QUOTE Thanks
pasz

Im having the same exact problem... Jason could you fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
jasonbishop73

jasonbishop73 is an unknown at this point

OMG... im surprised this thread is still going. Anyways i wound up getitng it replaced via the genius bar.

MODS please close this thread
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PB G4 vs DT G5 for audio? | So confused! »