New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mbp 13 mid 2010 power issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wuchi

Wuchi is on a distinguished road

Hello

I'm new here. Possibly this information is allready here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

So I have problems with my mbp. I got it after it was spilled water on it. I changed the keyboard and cleaned it. It started working. With battery it worked as it should. I didn't have magsafe at this time. Soon the battery needed to be charged. A week ago I bought a 60w magsafe. I connected it to mbp and nothing happened. No lights, nothing.

I disconnected the battery and pressed the powerbutton for ten seconds, while connecting the magsafe and after that pushed the power button again, and it started. This mode has some name, but apparently it is some kind of safe mode that overrides something. The fan is spinning full speed.

So do you have any suggestions, where the problem could be? Faulty dc in board? When battery had power, everything seemed to be fine.

Maybe it's the battery, but why the magsafe isn't showing any lights?
I noticed when I was cleaning the inside that one of the wires going from dc in board to logic board had been damaged mechanically. It looked like it had been stuck under logic board when the screws were tightened (sorry my bad english, hard to explain this). Wires insulation broken and the wire was possibly exposed, possibly the insulation was so thin that the wire could be seen. Or maybe the wire was broken. It was a grey wire. There were few black wires and two grey ones. Maybe it is this that causes problems?

Thank you allready.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your English is fine. The problem appears to be logic board related which is generally what happens after a spill. I hope you didn't pay very much for the machine or got it for free because replacing a damaged logic board can be expensive.

I suggest going to the ifixit web site and take a look at the removal and take apart instructions for your machine. Perhaps it will help you to figure out if it is the logic board that was damaged.

iFixit: The free repair manual
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The only way for a 'Do-It-Yourself" person to determine what part(s) are bad...is to replace the suspected "bad" part with a "good" part.

In this MBP situation it is fortunate that it has a seperate DC In Board (many newer MBP's do not)...so you could swap DC In Boards to see if that helps. But (as chscag mentioned with liquid spills)...it could also be the logic board (expensive). If it is the logic board...it is probably not worth the cost to repair.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Wuchi

Wuchi is on a distinguished road

There is a possibility that the logic board is damaged, I know.

But hopefully the problem is in the dc in board. If the logic board is damaged, it is supposedly something that controls the battery charging? The guy I bought it from said that the charger showed dim green light, but with my charger it doesn't show any light. That is why i suspect the dc board wire that is causing the problem, or at least some of it.

The mbp doesn't take the power unless this override mode is on. I think this was not so with the previous owner and dim green light.

I think I'll change the dc board and see what will happen. I'm satisfied if I can get it work with magsafe. Charging the battery would be extra.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air WiFi setup | Shutdown not working »