New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Can any macbook work/use 32gb of ram if there is a compatible 16gb stick?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
ScaryFatKidGT

 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 140
ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

ScaryFatKidGT is offline
Just wondering? I'm a heavy ram user and OS X on the 27" mac will use 32gb, I'm guessing because it has 4 slots but if there was a 16gb would the 2012's work with it? Or could they be "hacked" or "updated" to? Or is there no way and it just wouldn't work?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,519
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Apple no longer sells "MacBooks".

Your posting mentions an iMac...but does not mention what Apple laptop you have. As far as the max. ram. Sometimes some Mac models can have a higher max. ram then they had when first released, and sometimes they don't.

This is usually because higher density ram modules (16 gig ram modules in this case) were not available when the computer was first released. Sometimes the higher density ram modules work...and sometimes they don't.

Only actual testing with the higher ram modules will answer the question if it will work. There is no accurate "theorizing" that can be done...since this can only be determined on a model by model basis.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

 
mrplow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 01, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,728
mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

mrplow is offline
crucial.com are normally quite good at letting you know what the advised max is and what has been shown to work. For a 2012 iMac the max they show is 32gb

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 140
ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

ScaryFatKidGT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
crucial.com are normally quite good at letting you know what the advised max is and what has been shown to work. For a 2012 iMac the max they show is 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Apple no longer sells "MacBooks".

Your posting mentions an iMac...but does not mention what Apple laptop you have. As far as the max. ram. Sometimes some Mac models can have a higher max. ram then they had when first released, and sometimes they don't.

This is usually because higher density ram modules (16 gig ram modules in this case) were not available when the computer was first released. Sometimes the higher density ram modules work...and sometimes they don't.

Only actual testing with the higher ram modules will answer the question if it will work. There is no accurate "theorizing" that can be done...since this can only be determined on a model by model basis.

- Nick
Macbook Pro* same difference, you know what I mean't I'm guessing...

Exactly what I mean the 16gb single module is just coming out and the reason I mentioned the iMac is because OS X obviously supports 32gb its not like windows where you need the premium version to support 32, OS X 10.8 and 10.9 support 32 so I'm wondering
1. Does anyone make a 16gb 1600mhz stick that is apple compatible and 2. has anyone ever stuck it in say a 2012 MBP? Would it work?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

 
mrplow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 01, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,728
mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

mrplow is offline
The 2012 MBP supports a max of 16gb and has two slots.

So it's a bit of a moot point. Even if you could get 16gb sticks the architecture in the MBP tops out at 16gb so there's no point putting more than 2x8gb sticks in there.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,519
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Macbook Pro* same difference, you know what I mean't I'm guessing...
What you meant & what you said are two diferent things. "MacBooks" are a computer model that Apple used to sell. So accuracy is important.

As to the title of the thread, "Can any macbook work/use 32gb of ram if there is a compatible 16gb stick?"

Whether you meant "MacBook" or "MacBook Pro"...the answer to this is no. A "MacBook Pro" from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, etc...that doesn't even have a max. ram of 16gig...certainly isn't going to be able to utilize 16gig ram modules (for a max. ram of 32gig).

To add to this. The newest "MacBook Pro's" cannot even upgrade their ram. Thus 16gig ram modules will not work in them either.

AND...one more thing. The newest "MacBook Pro's" that can have their ram upgraded...originally had a max. ram of 8gig. To the best of my knowledge...Apple has never released a laptop computer (that had upgradeable ram) which had an "Official max. ram endorsed by Apple" that was greater than 8gig. There are some "MacBook Pro" models that do have a "true max. ram" of 16gig...but this is not something that is officially stated by Apple.

This means that these MacBook Pro's (that have an official Apple max. ram of 8gig)...would have to be capable of a 4x increase in thier max. ram capacity versus what Apple officially states. This has NEVER happened with any Macintosh laptop/notebook product EVER! It has been possible with a number of computer models to have a 2x greater max. ram than Apple states...but never a 4x increase.

So again...you need to be VERY specific and accurate as to what computer model/models you are speaking about.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,619
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Also, just for future reference ... Nick wasn't being snarky. Apple makes a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air currently, and used to make a model called (literally) "MacBook." So when someone calls their machine a "MacBook," without further clarification we don't actually know if they are referring to an Air or Pro (assuming its a current machine as we knew with yours).

Further, the two models use different kinds of RAM (and the ability to upgrade said RAM varies by model as well) ... so that would have affected the answer you got. In text-based forums like this, specificity is important.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,519
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Exactly what I mean the 16gb single module is just coming out and the reason I mentioned the iMac is because OS X obviously supports 32gb... its not like windows where you need the premium version to support 32, OS X 10.8 and 10.9 support 32 so I'm wondering...
It's not about what OS X will support. It's about:

- What an individual computer model will support in terms of it's design.
- Will an individual computer models EFI support it.
- Will ram manufacturers make a 16gig ram module that's compatible with the particular computer in question (not all ram modules fit all models).

The bottom line is...if the current max. ram for a computer model is 16gig...no one at this point knows if 2 x 16gig will work. Maybe it will...maybe it won't.

When (and if) 16gig ram modules are made and are compatible (will fit) with a particular computer model...you can either:

- be the "first person on the block" to purchase the ram (2 x 16gig) and test to see if it works. And it's not just about it "working for 5 minutes"...it's about "real" stability (days, weeks, etc.).
- wait until someone else tests it. Usually someone like OWC or Everymac.com will test things quickly...and then they update their databases (max. ram for a particular model) if a change is necessary.

* Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 140
ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

ScaryFatKidGT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What you meant & what you said are two diferent things. "MacBooks" are a computer model that Apple used to sell. So accuracy is important.

As to the title of the thread, "Can any macbook work/use 32gb of ram if there is a compatible 16gb stick?"

Whether you meant "MacBook" or "MacBook Pro"...the answer to this is no. A "MacBook Pro" from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, etc...that doesn't even have a max. ram of 16gig...certainly isn't going to be able to utilize 16gig ram modules (for a max. ram of 32gig).

To add to this. The newest "MacBook Pro's" cannot even upgrade their ram. Thus 16gig ram modules will not work in them either.

AND...one more thing. The newest "MacBook Pro's" that can have their ram upgraded...originally had a max. ram of 8gig. To the best of my knowledge...Apple has never released a laptop computer (that had upgradeable ram) which had an "Official max. ram endorsed by Apple" that was greater than 8gig. There are some "MacBook Pro" models that do have a "true max. ram" of 16gig...but this is not something that is officially stated by Apple.

This means that these MacBook Pro's (that have an official Apple max. ram of 8gig)...would have to be capable of a 4x increase in thier max. ram capacity versus what Apple officially states. This has NEVER happened with any Macintosh laptop/notebook product EVER! It has been possible with a number of computer models to have a 2x greater max. ram than Apple states...but never a 4x increase.

So again...you need to be VERY specific and accurate as to what computer model/models you are speaking about.

- Nick
Hmmm I thought the 2012's had the 16gb option from apple? Well I guess I was just having wishfull thinking that apple has claimed 4max and 8 has worked and 8max and 16 has worked maybe 32 would some how work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Also, just for future reference ... Nick wasn't being snarky. Apple makes a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air currently, and used to make a model called (literally) "MacBook." So when someone calls their machine a "MacBook," without further clarification we don't actually know if they are referring to an Air or Pro (assuming its a current machine as we knew with yours).

Further, the two models use different kinds of RAM (and the ability to upgrade said RAM varies by model as well) ... so that would have affected the answer you got. In text-based forums like this, specificity is important.
I know I know but air's can't upgrade the ram and the white "macbooks" are old as crap lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,519
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Hmmm I thought the 2012's had the 16gb option from apple?
You are correct that some 2012 MacBook Pro's did have a 16gig ram upgrade option. These were the 2012 retina MacBook Pro's. They could be upgraded/configured to 16gig at the time of purchase only (not upgradeable after purchase by the end-user).

All of the "regular" 2012 MacBook Pro's that do have upgradeable ram by the end-user...(according to Apple)...have an official max ram of 8gig. Unofficially they can be upgraded to 16gig.

It would be VERY unusual for these "regular" 2012 MacBook Pro's to be upgradeable to 32gig of ram...since this would be 4x more than Apple officially recommends. And as far as I know...no Apple computer has ever had a max ram that was 4x the "offical max" from Apple. Lots of models have been 2x greater...but never 4x greater than Apple's official max.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

 
MacInWin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 07, 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 2,274
MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

MacInWin is offline
Quote:
the white "macbooks" are old as crap lol
Yep, but we've seen questions here from owners of those old machines, so as Nick said, it's important to be precise in how people post their issues here.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,496
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
I usually use Everymac to determine what the "real" max memory a particular Mac will support beyond what Apple official says. Your 2012 MBP, offically supports 8GB, but 16GB has been known to work. Nothing beyond that will work, so even if you plug in 16GB sticks, you'll only get a maximum of 16GB of usable memory..

--
Regards
...Ashwin



Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Upgrading Macbook (SSD or H-SSD) | user picture change »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Macbook won't fully accept new RAM miremba Apple Notebooks 4 06-19-2012 06:53 PM
My RAM installation adventure Americain Switcher Hangout 3 04-06-2006 07:39 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?