Thread: Touble copying

Touble copying
    I am wanting to do a clean install of Mavericks because my MacBook is over 5 years old and never been wiped. Currently running 10.7.5

I'm trying to copy my personal files like iphoto library to an external hard drive so I can do the wipe and then bring them back on the computer. My understanding is that this is the way to a clean install as opposed to using Time Machine. However it just hangs when I try to copy it to the drive. It does the same thing copying to my NAS.

I also tried using Carbon Copy Cloner earlier and it would also hang. I have repaired permissions and repaired the disk, and I have done that from inside Recovery Mode. Any suggestions?

2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.11
    Don't add a problem on top of another problem.
    First, sort out the " hang " issue, before you upgrade.
    Your thinking is right ..... make a time machine backup AND a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Why are you saying that the machine hangs while copying ..... if you have a large iPhoto library ( several GB ) and you make a TM backup over wireless, you are looking at several hours.

If you have more questions, fire away.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Definitely several hours over wifi for a TM backup or any large file transfer - recently did a new TM backup via wifi backing up 150 GB - took well over 7 hours. Started it a couple hours before I went to bed - the computer went to sleep some time later, so it still wasn't done when I got up in the morning.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information