New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

green flickering display on Macbook Pro 15"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Anna Belize

Anna Belize is on a distinguished road

my 2009 Macbook pro 15" has just started displaying bright green pixels flickering wherever there's a dark area on screen, particularly in photos. I've seen the issue being posted elsewhere, but no resolutions. It's been suggested it's the graphics card and when i press down hard directly to the left of the "tab" key the flickering green goes away... Can anyone help?? thanks

I have a video but not sure how to post here....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Display "flickering" can be a possible bad or fraying display cable.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Anna Belize

Thank you Nick... is this something that is fixable relatively easily?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Belize View Post
Thank you Nick... is this something that is fixable relatively easily?
Firstly...the bad video cable I mentioned is just a possibility. The only way to know for sure is to replace the cable...and see if things are corrected.

Second...who's going to do the work...you or a professional? I'm asking since the cost to fix this may be a lot more than you think...and could be a good proportion of a 2009 MacBook Pro's value. Repairing computers can be expensive...and on older computers...it's better if the owner can do their own repairs.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Anna Belize

I would have to get someone else to repair it... which somewhat complicates things unless this is a relatively easy fix.... 1) I'm in Belize, which does not have any apple repair centers 2) i'd have to order parts from the US for someone to bring down

re the cost... this computer was given to me so it actually cost me nothing.... so i don't mind spending on a fix... it'll be cheaper than buying a new computer here in Belize, macs are in any case not available here.

If the fix is something that a (non mac) repair person could do can you let me know?

many thanks I do appreciate your help!
anna
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I would have to get someone else to repair it... which somewhat complicates things unless this is a relatively easy fix....
"Relative" is a relative term. What one person thinks is easy...another person will find hard. Let's put it this way. If you've never opened up a laptop computer before...then this repair will be harder for a first-timer than for someone who has done it 100x.

Quote:
1) I'm in Belize, which does not have any apple repair centers 2) i'd have to order parts from the US for someone to bring down
Aah...you're at least our 2nd member from Belize!

Quote:
If the fix is something that a (non mac) repair person could do can you let me know?
Go to this website:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Look up the repair procedure that most closely matches what you need to do (replace the video/display cable). Then see if you can do it. Of course remember you're going to need some tools!

Yes...this is a repair a non-Mac repair person could do. But I'm sure they're going to complain a lot about working on a Mac. And will probably want to charge you more...just because.

Finally...again. It may or may not be the video cable. From what you describe...it could be the video cable. But then it could also be the video hardware. And if it's the video hardware...then the computer will need a replacement logic board (EXPENSIVE)!
performed

The video cable is simply a MUCH less expensive repair...and a repair that can be by a user.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Anna Belize

Thank you very much Nick. I'll be consulting with the "other" Belize user of this forum who is a good friend of mine (it's a very small country!!)... since everything else works fine and it's just "iincovenient" I may have to just live with it! manythanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thank you very much Nick. I'll be consulting with the "other" Belize user of this forum who is a good friend of mine (it's a very small country!!)...
Ahh...that's very fortunate! I've been to Belize...but just did the typical "tourist stuff".

Quote:
... since everything else works fine and it's just "iincovenient" I may have to just live with it! manythanks again!
I was going to mention this as a possibility...if the problem wasn't too bad or was too difficult to get repaired.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
hfeed

hfeed is on a distinguished road

Hey.

Did you ever get the problem resolved? I have the excact same issue and i can mace the green disappear when pressing down on the body next to TAB-key.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to Do With All This Hardware | Need one gig of ram »