New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Very Very Strange Problem (Am at a complete loss here..)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Camper

Camper is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook retina and absolutely love it. I do everything with it and have windows 7 and parallels on it to game on.

Now to the issue. Every now and again I hear very low voices in the background without anything actually playing. This normally happens on the windows partition with no network connection and nothing running. Occasionally i will hear it while playing a game but it only happens once per boot and does not last long. I cannot understand what the voice is saying.
This time I got done on my windows side playing a game and restarted to go to the mac partition and about an hour or so after boot with my headphones on I hear it again. No ads in the background, no videos playing, nothing.

Im at a loss. My computer is running fine and is still very fast but it is annoying and worries me that there might be a virus or something maybe?? I'm not the most advanced mac user as i just started with osx when i got this retina but i am getting to know my way around things and feel as though i am slightly more knowledgeable than the average (basic) user.

Are there any programs i should run to check for malware or anything like that or do you have any ideas?
(No i am not crazy)

Thanks for the help,
Camper
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Do you only hear these voices when using your headphones? If they are wireless, I'm wondering if there is some RF interference and you are picking up a transmission from something else.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Boot into Windows safe mode. Do you still hear them?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Boot into Windows safe mode. Do you still hear them?
This would be a good idea to try

Are you sure its the computer? and no internet tabs are open with adds? I have had to go through 100+ tabs to find adds playing and I have also done this and found my ipod and headphones on the ground under some clothing had been playing for hours haha
QUOTE Thanks
Camper

Thanks for the ideas/replies guys. They are high quality non wireless headphones. I'm sure there are no adds in the background because this can happen without any programs open in windows. I figured there could be a virus in windows doing it (which i honestly expected and am not worried about because it can be wiped) but when I heard it on the Mac partition I was worried. I will try to open it in safe mode and run some malware software.
The strange thing is I keep my internet/wireless connection off on my windows side almost always. If I need it I manually turn it on so there is nothing going on via the web.

So is thee a windows virus that can present itself on a separate partition even if it is osx? Or since I was only on my windows partition for a half hour,was the virus fulfilling its duty at the hourish mark regardless or partition?

Should I just find a better copy of windows and reinstall it on the partition? I'm not losing anything valuable just time..

Thank you all,
Camper
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

So you hear it in OSX and in Windows?

If so this isn't malware and your Windows version.

Can you hear it through your Mac speakers? Have you got other headphones you can try?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

What model headphones do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
Camper

This was the first time I have heard the voice on the Mac partition and it was with my headphones on. They are hifiman he-400s without a DAC or amp. Have yet to try safety mode or wiping windows out. I am normally on my windows partition long enough to hear it and it seems to only happen occasionally. I never hear it on the Mac side and this is the first time. It seems strange that it would be after being on the windows partition and not happening normally if it was an issue with the Mac side.... But what do I know I'm no expert.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

So can you hear it through the speakers?

Are you certain it's real words?

Wiping out windows or booting it to safe mode is pointless at this stage.

You can it in both operating systems.

This implies its hardware of some kind that's the root issue. Whether it's the headphones, jack, or on board audio card cannot be determined until another set of headphones has been tried, external speakers and internal speakers

QUOTE Thanks
Camper

They are words but I cannot clearly make them out. I have heard it once while playing metro in windows and heard it with my klipsch s4 iem's. I have yet to hear it with my speakers but I have not used them much. I can try booting windows and listening for the noise. Thing is its always quiet regardless of the volume.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

From the information supplied and unless you have the same piece of software in both windows and OSX this has to be hardware. You could really do with trying to see if you can hear it over the built in speakers to determine if it's the limited to the 3.5mm output.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Keep in mind that almost everything in your computer is connected on some base of RF modulation. Which means in laymen terms, it will and can be affected by radio transmissions. Also it is not uncommon for speaker wire to act as an antenna and allow you to here un scrambled radio communication, such as local radio station, home based radio like CB and such. Heck my cell phone turns on and off my monitors when to close.. LOL

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

That's the way I'm thinking. Maybe go to a friends some distance away or a coffee shop etc and see if the issue remains. Could be simply local interference.

That would more likely happen with corded headphones so re-creating using the internal speakers would still be an interesting test

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Come on folks - we all know it's gotta be haunted and the poor soul is reaching out trying to make contact. Time to call in Amy and Steve to find out what's really going on.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Keep in mind that almost everything in your computer is connected on some base of RF modulation. Which means in laymen terms, it will and can be affected by radio transmissions. Also it is not uncommon for speaker wire to act as an antenna and allow you to here un scrambled radio communication, such as local radio station, home based radio like CB and such. Heck my cell phone turns on and off my monitors when to close.. LOL
I was thinking it could have something to do with the planar technology in the HE-400's but he said all of his headphones do it, he should see if it makes the noise elsewhere like 10 miles away or more from his home... maybe see if it gets louder one direction he could pinpoint the location of the alien transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Come on folks - we all know it's gotta be haunted and the poor soul is reaching out trying to make contact. Time to call in Amy and Steve to find out what's really going on.
LOL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BBBOD / Mid 2010 Mac Book Pro Freezing | i7-2677M vs. i5-4250U »