New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Very Very Strange Problem (Am at a complete loss here..)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Does the room go cold?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Camper

Camper is on a distinguished road

Hahaha. Ghosts make more sense than anything else else I've thought of!! Thanks for solving my problem. I will call the local catholic church for a macbook excercism right away.
Maybee it is a poor Foxcon worker that got killed building this device and his soul got trapped in the SSD and I can't understand it because it is in Chinese....

I mean picking up radio frequencies seems kind of farfetched but there is some serious cord attached to these headphones with exposed gold terminals. I will try with my iem's about 20 miles away at a buddies house and see if it can be recreated. I only think that I've heard it through the iem's; I don't remember for sure because its been a long time.

Just thought of this. In osx the headphones are not as loud as on the windows side. At a low volume in windows is almost a quarter of the way up in osx. So maybe windows is pushing more power, making me hear the ghost more in windows than in osx.....? You all are right some testing needs to be done.

Another tid bit, guy down the street put up a CB tower. Like HUGE tower, right in the middle of a small neighborhood (looks atrocious). This was within the past 6 months and I don't remember if I was getting interference before then or not..

Thanks for all of the help and humor fellas,

Camper
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
Another tid bit, guy down the street put up a CB tower. Like HUGE tower, right in the middle of a small neighborhood (looks atrocious). This was within the past 6 months and I don't remember if I was getting interference before then or not..
Any chance you only hear these voices at certain times of the day, like only when he'd be home and not out at work? Get up with that guy and experiment to see if the tower is the problem. Coordinate so you are listening while he's using it. I'd wager that is the problem. From there, the question may be if the power from that thing exceeds regulation. You may also want to see if better-shielded cables for your headphones can be acquired.
QUOTE Thanks
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Any chance you only hear these voices at certain times of the day, like only when he'd be home and not out at work? I'd wager that is the problem. From there, the question may be if the power from that thing exceeds regulation. You may also want to see if better-shielded cables for your headphones can be acquired.
All the people around me are retired including him so I believe he is just at home all day very day. I only rarely get the interference but it is typically with windows. I only got worried when it was in osx but I'm glad to hear it isn't some virus or something of that nature. This makes much more sense and was something that I didn't even think about.
They make better quality wire for these headphones and I would like new wire anyway. I'm sure I could also modify the wire by adding more insulation also, just need to find a material that is flexible and insulates well.

I might stop by and talk to him and see when he is broadcasting to check if I can hear it.

This forum was a great help. Typically I can solve these kind of problems but this one had me stumped.

Thank you all,

Camper
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Bingo! Call the guy and report the interference. If he's an amateur radio operator (as I am) he should be courteous about it and look for any power leaks that could cause interference. But if he's pushing a ton of power through CB, the tolerances on CB equipment is so lousy that it could be spraying signals all over the spectrum, which is illegal. I would bet that he's running way too much power for CB.

Be advised, however, that if he is a licensed amateur radio operator, while he will check his equipment to make sure it's working properly, once he knows it is working properly any interference on your end is your responsibility. There are filters that will ground out his transmissions, but it is up to you to pay for them, not him. Consumer electronics are supposed to be resistant to interference, according to the FCC regulations that govern them, including headphones.

EDIT: The difference between a licensed amateur radio operator (a HAM) and a CB-er is that hams have to takes tests and be licensed to use the equipment, but CBers don't. CBers are legally limited to 5 watts of transmitter power, but a lot of them push the signal through amplifiers (illegally), some of them to as much as 1000 watts. The CB equipment isn't made to the same tolerances as amateur operator equipment is because of the low power, so when CBers push it, the noisy signal spreads into other spectrums and can cause interference.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Camper

I'm not interested in creating a problem with the guy or anything. I may go down just to chat him up or something but I very rarely hear it. If I'm on windows a lot gaming or something then I will hear it once or twice a week very faintly and briefly.

I'm not going to be living here more than 2 yrs or so and I understand he has his hobbies as I have mine (motorcycles, which are probably annoying for him) lol. I might just let him know that I heard what could have been interference from his tower or something of the sorts.

I'm just glad it is a small, honestly insignificant problem that has nothing to do with the macbook.

I also think I figured out why it is on the Windows side more.. While headphones are plugged into mac/osx, the power seems to "shut off" to the jack with a slight static pop if you listen closely during periods of inactivity.
Running headphones on the windows partition the headphones are being fed constant power I believe even during inactivity.
I'm sure there are other reasons also but this is just a thought.

Very interesting stuff!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
I'm not interested in creating a problem with the guy or anything. I may go down just to chat him up or something but I very rarely hear it. If I'm on windows a lot gaming or something then I will hear it once or twice a week very faintly and briefly.

I'm not going to be living here more than 2 yrs or so and I understand he has his hobbies as I have mine (motorcycles, which are probably annoying for him) lol. I might just let him know that I heard what could have been interference from his tower or something of the sorts.

I'm just glad it is a small, honestly insignificant problem that has nothing to do with the macbook.

I also think I figured out why it is on the Windows side more.. While headphones are plugged into mac/osx, the power seems to "shut off" to the jack with a slight static pop if you listen closely during periods of inactivity.
Running headphones on the windows partition the headphones are being fed constant power I believe even during inactivity.
I'm sure there are other reasons also but this is just a thought.

Very interesting stuff!!!
yeah OS X has an auto off if nothing is playing
QUOTE Thanks
Wman

Wman is on a distinguished road

I recommend downloading seroquel.dmg and installing it.

Have no fear. Wman is here!...or something...
QUOTE Thanks
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wman View Post
I recommend downloading seroquel.dmg and installing it.
I'm not a schizophrenic! Neither am I! The voices told me you would say that... They said you would think we were crazy.. We are NOT crazy...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BBBOD / Mid 2010 Mac Book Pro Freezing | i7-2677M vs. i5-4250U »