New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac - FileVault drive lost partition?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChrisBern

ChrisBern is on a distinguished road

Hi...symptoms are mid-2012 Macbook Air with all stock equipment now boots to question mark icon. It also can't boot to Recovery Disk, but I can choose to boot to Internet Recovery.

When I run Disk Utility in Internet Recovery, I can see the hard drive in the list of attached disks, but the hard drive has no partitions listed underneath it. Verify Disk and Repair Disk buttons are grayed out. S.M.A.R.T. status is "Verified". I don't have the exact wording in front of me but the hard drive shows in Disk Utility as "Unformatted".

This drive is FileVault2 encrypted. I have the FileVault2 password of course--this is my wife's laptop--but I can't determine how to unlock the encryption because OS X no longer recognizes that the drive has a partition. BTW I believe this is 10.7.4 or .5.

I have tried booting into OS X directly from external USB, in the hopes that it would recognize the local drive and ask me for my FileVault password, but it did not prompt me for that (instead it said "Disk not recognizable, initialize, ignore, reject), and Disk Utility in this scenario was the same as from Internet Recovery (predictable I suppose). I have booted into PartedMagic (Linux) from USB and run TestDisk, but after a full "deep scan", it found no Mac partitions--is this because of FileVault2?

Long story short it seems that I'm in a catch-22--there are a few files on the drive that I need to recover if at all possible because my wife didn't back them up, whereas the rest of the system is expendable in the sense that I don't mind reformatting other than getting a few of those files off. Is there a way to decrypt FileVault2 with my password even when Mac doesn't see the partition? Any other suggestions at all that might help?

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Long story short it seems that I'm in a catch-22--there are a few files on the drive that I need to recover if at all possible because my wife didn't back them up, whereas the rest of the system is expendable in the sense that I don't mind reformatting other than getting a few of those files off. Is there a way to decrypt FileVault2 with my password even when Mac doesn't see the partition? Any other suggestions at all that might help?
This is one of the hazards of using any version of FileVault. When things are working right, FileVault2 offers great protection, however, any kind of hard drive problem with a drive that has been encrypted with FileVault exacerbates recovery. Unless your wife has a backup of her data (backups are not encrypted) you're probably out of luck.

Another thing... I would completely replace the drive not format it for reuse. Once a drive begins acting up it can't be relied on. And unless there is a compelling reason to use FileVault, I would forgo using it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 restart | Monitor dimming and lighting back up »