New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook A1181

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kb617

kb617 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 Macbook A1181. I would like to sell it since I have replaced it with a new Macbook. My problem is that I do not have the original install DVD. I do have a copy of OS X Leopard which the computer is currently operating on. Can I use that to wipe the computer clean or should I pay for new install discs?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You could either use that OS 10.5 Leopard disk...or purchase an OS 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk from Apple:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Generally speaking...the newer the OS installed on a computer...the better it is for selling it. OS 10.6 Snow Leopard is a pretty good OS version to have installed on a 2007 MacBook. But I can totally understand if you didn't want to spend the extra $19.99 for the 10.6 disk.

Good luck with the sale,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kb617

kb617 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I think I'll stick with the Leopard since I've already got it handy. Would I follow the same steps that I normally would with the original install DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb617 View Post
Thanks! I think I'll stick with the Leopard since I've already got it handy. Would I follow the same steps that I normally would with the original install DVD?
It's basically the same thing. But since your selling the computer...here's what I would do:

1. Obviously backup anything you want to keep first.
2. Insert the 10.5 disk.
3. Reboot the computer (press the C key to boot from the DVD).
4. Launch Disk Utility...and do a "Secure Erase" of the HD.
5. After the secure erase quit Disk Utility.
6. Install OS 10.5 following the onscreen prompts.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« anyway to hotwire the mbp a1260? | The best macbook for a software engineering student? »