MacBook Pro as a Primary Computer?

I am looking to upgrade from a 2007 iMac and I am considering a new MacBook Pro Retina with a display. We are not big gamers (the kids play Minecraft) but do use iMovie and iPhoto a good deal. Is it reasonable to use a MacBook Retina for a primary computer or should I be looking at a new iMac?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Many many many folks have a MacBook Pro as their primary computer.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    More and more I am realizing my iPad is actually my primary computer, with my MacBook Pro playing second fiddle.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I have used a MacBook and now a MBP as my *only* non-iPad computer since 2006. Obviously I added the iPad as a supplement in 2010 for mostly "leisure" activities, but to this day I do most of my podcasting, writing, photo and video editing, video conferencing and so forth with a (non-Retina) older MBP and am only just now feeling like its nearing the time to get a newer model. I'm not the heavy power-user I once was, but all of my (all day every day) needs are being met with this machine.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Well, transitioned back to Apple in the spring (although 30+ yrs using computers) - my main 'computers' now are a rMBPro & an iPad 2 (will upgrade early next year to an Air); wife is on a new iMac and an iPad Mini - boy w/ an Apple laptop & iPad, most of your needs should be served! Dave

Used a MBP as main computer for over a year. Had it connected to an external 24" monitor, worked really well. However as I was using it for photo editing it did become a bit untidy. A dock would have been a good idea but I bought an iMac instead ( Dock would have been cheaper. )

I know of two people who use MBP as their main computer without any problem.

Specs:
    15" 2011 MBPro,i7,16GB; 13" 2013 MBAir,i5,4GB; MacPro,2:6-coreXeons,32GB,NvidiaGTX780-3GB, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Banth View Post
    ... but do use iMovie and iPhoto a good deal....
    If you do much in the way of editing photos in iPhoto or creating a lot of edits in iMovie you might be better off with the iMac. I would think one of your biggest consideration would be screen size. I currently use my 15" MBP for video capturing at live events and then at home for internet access. I edit pictures and videos on two beefy Windows 7 pro computers. I use dual screens on both editors. One has dual 24" monitors and the other dual 27" monitors.

I have edited one live event on my MBP and about 100 pictures. I use Premiere Pro CS6 for all my video work. I use Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5 for photo editing. The MBP will run all three with no problems. My biggest issue with my MBP as a choice for edtiting is screen size. When you spend a lot of time looking closely at a screen your eyes get tired and size of screen plus high resolution capability and monitor quality helps.

I am planning to upgrade one of my Windows editors this coming year. I am holding off on whether it will be an iMac or Mac pro. Cost will be the deciding factor versus what I have in the budget. One thing I will have is a monitor or two that is at least 27".... and lots of memory and lots of storage space and a beefy processor or two and a beefy video card.....you get the idea.

Lisa

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8
    I do a large amount of photo editing on a 15" MacBook Pro, and was doing on a 13" MacBook for about six years before that. Honestly, a desktop has never really crossed my mind as a main machine. Having the portability of a laptop, especially one as powerful as a MacBook Pro is so valuable when you run around as much as I do. Definitely never been a bottleneck in my workflow, even without an external monitor.
    MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
    MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Even better when you can have both an iMac and MacBook Pro.... $$$$!

Specs:
    15" 2011 MBPro,i7,16GB; 13" 2013 MBAir,i5,4GB; MacPro,2:6-coreXeons,32GB,NvidiaGTX780-3GB, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Even better when you can have both an iMac and MacBook Pro.... $$$$!
    That's my goal! iMac at work and MBP for portability. Now all I have to do is save up the $$$ for the iMac

Lisa

Thread Information