New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Which do you think I should buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thtguyjosh

thtguyjosh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hi there! so I am in the market for a new macbook pro and find myself confused. I waited for the new 2013 line to have the newest possible but find that they are less powerful by far but more expensive. Is there something I'm missing?

right now im eyeing the 2012 even though it doesnt have retina display

2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
for $1134
vs

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
for $1469
the retina is 300 dollars more for less power than the 2012. That said is there something I dont know about haswell processors that makes them more powerful or faster with less gHz? I would be using the macbook for photo and video editing as well as 3d animation.

any advice? is the new lineup better than the 2012 version despite having seemingly lesser specs?
thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I would go for the 2013 version, only to ensure my options for future OS upgrades are secured.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtguyjosh View Post
Hi there! so I am in the market for a new macbook pro and find myself confused. I waited for the new 2013 line to have the newest possible but find that they are less powerful by far but more expensive. Is there something I'm missing?
vs

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
for $1469
the retina is 300 dollars more for less power than the 2012. That said is there something I dont know about haswell processors that makes them more powerful or faster with less gHz? I would be using the macbook for photo and video editing as well as 3d animation.
Well in the spring I purchased a MBPro w/ retina display (which is a LOT easier for me to read small type than on my previous Dell laptop) - so you may want to take a look at both display options before buying - might be worth the extra cost if you're doing a lot of photo & video editing. Also, for the latter purposes, 8 GB RAM & a 256 GB SSD (both specs on my rMPB) would be strongly recommended - 128 GB of storage is just not enough if you are planning to put huge photo & video files on the drive. Good luck in your choice - Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow, but new MacBook Pro | No sound on 2009 macbook »