Macbook Pro slows down network
    I bought a brand new 13in. Macbook pro in August 2012.

For as long as I can remember it has never been able to do anything internet related on my home network like a normal computer. It stays connected to my network though barely loads webpages or anything else internet related. In fact, it slows down my network. It basically brings my internet to a halt when I open my macbook.

We do have a lot of devices connected (a windows pc, another older macbook pro, ipad, 2x iphones, an android smart phone, apple tv and playstation 3) but even if there's only 1 or 2 others connected OR if my comp is the only one, it still has significant problems loading content from the internet.

For a while, I thought it might have been my ISP (TimeWarner), but ruled that out after a lot of testing and they came out to my house- twice (I live in Los Angeles, if that makes any difference). I brought it in to the Apple store. They tested my comp- nothing. My comp performs fine whenever I’m at work so I’m thinking maybe it’s a compatibility issues with my comp and the router. Is this possible?

I have a Medialink wireless n broadband router. Model MWN-WAPR150N.

I also ran LittleSnitch on my macbook pro to see if possibly some kind of malware was shooting stuff out of my computer or pulling media down- this turned up nothing. My Macbook was not sending or receiving any out of the ordinary packets.

I'm currently running build 13A603 on the latest version of Mavericks (had the problems with mountain lion as well). My comp has a 2.5 GHz, Intel Core i5 and 4gb of memory.

I have a macbook that I can’t use on the internet in my house. It sucks. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Does your other Macbook Pro have these issues at all? Also what OS is it running?

I really can not see the new MBP slowing down your internet unless something is updating or downloading. You pretty much ruled that out with Little Snitch.

When you take it to Apple and your office does it load pages fast? I think that was what you were saying.

I take it you have no other router you could substitute and see if there is some strange issue? Also check and be sure the IP the router is assigning to the new MBP is not being shared with some other device on your network.

Do you know how to manually configure an IP in OSX? If so I would try and and pick one that is for sure different than the other devices and see if that helps. Other than that not sure what is going on.

Write back and let me know if any of the above helps you.

Thread Information