New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Keyboard freaking out after spill!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DianneIsSnazzy

DianneIsSnazzy is on a distinguished road

Hey everybody! So, I had a bit of a spill. I have a 2010 13" MacBook pro. I cleaned it up as soon as possible, but I was completely unable to use my keyboard after that. I bought an external one that works using Bluetooth and it's doing just fine. The problem is my keyboard seems to freak out every once in a while, and will do things like type semi-colons over and over, type in my address bar, or change the names of folders on my desktop until I press a button a few times on the broken built-in keyboard. Usually this stops it, but often it starts doing it again almost immediately. Is there anything I can do to keep it from bothering me? It sometimes makes it difficult to get any work done. I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Dianne
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Carry it to a Apple Store and see about getting it replaced. Your lucky the computer didn't fry. Also you may still have soda pop under the keyboard on the inside.

From my experience, sticky normally means soda pop spill.. I lost a really nice keyboard from soda spill. Even after constant cleaning with everything from alcohol, paint thinner and window cleaner. Nothing could remove that stuff from the plastic and connectors. My wife actually even fried her computer from a small water spill one day.. Somehow it blew the voltage regulators.. Not sure how but it did.

But, go to apple, send it in, get it fixed. Or just have to deal with the current situation the way you are. But I would be very concerned about soda being on the inside of the computer.

Cheers,
Joe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
DianneIsSnazzy

DianneIsSnazzy is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I appreciate that. I don't think anything is left in there though. I spilled rum, which I'm thinking dries pretty quickly, and I cleaned all my keys individually after it happened. I might take it in, but I'm not sure what they can do. I'd rather put up with it then spend money to fix it right now. Is there anything else I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneIsSnazzy View Post
Thanks! I appreciate that. I don't think anything is left in there though. I spilled rum, which I'm thinking dries pretty quickly, and I cleaned all my keys individually after it happened. I might take it in, but I'm not sure what they can do. I'd rather put up with it then spend money to fix it right now. Is there anything else I can do?
Sorry about your problem but would have to agree w/ the previous poster - unless the rum was 200 proof, water was present in the drink spilled - Also, if you did not 'turn off' the computer immediately (the usual recommendation) then even further electronic damage could have occurred (or may in the near future). So, suggestion is to visit an Apple Store ASAP and stop using the computer; otherwise, you likely are looking at the need for a new one? Good luck - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneIsSnazzy View Post
1. MOST rums have little sugar.. that's the good news...
2. Sugar is VERY detrimental to your laptop
3. Any liquid spill of any sort (other than distilled pure alcohol -which you can't drink) will contain corrosion inducing properties to your logic board.
4. Unless you remove those chemicals, your logic board is going to die. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe not till 2015.. nobody knows until it's inspected.
5. There's not a way in hell I would take it to Apple for the fiscal rape of a liquid spill situation. They're going to charge you Tier IV rates ($850-1200).

I'd find one of the good online service groups and ship it to them. You're going to need a new keyboard, a manual scrubbing of your logic board to prevent corrosion, and its going to cost you $150-300 ish.. ( somebody i know just recently went thru this, and no, I wasn't happy to pay for it)....

My personal favorite service group is wegenermedia (Wegener Media - Mac Sales and Service) - they've done several service jobs for me and my clients... There are other good companies as well - i used a group out in CA a couple times for clients (and can't remember their name anymore, but I think it was CTS. And you could try the powerbookmedic (www.powerboookmedic.com) I think they do that sort of work.

BUT, whatever you do, don't just ignore the problme.. it's going to get worse. corrosion waits for no man.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Internet Issues | scary sound on my macbook »