New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

missing hp 1200 driver

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LarryLarson

LarryLarson is on a distinguished road

I have a mid 2009 macbook pro running OS X.6.8. My HP 1200 worked fine with it until recently when the driver disappeared. I've downloaded a new driver, it seemed to download OK, but it's not showing up on the "add printer" list, or anywhere else for that matter.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not sure I understand how a driver can disappear? Also, the driver is not going to show up in the printer list. Let's see if we can figure out what's happening....

Try this: Open System Preferences, Printers & Fax (I'm using Mavericks so the tabs may be different)

Highlight your HP 1200 printer and make sure you've selected it as the default. Now go to the right side of the dialog where the printer shows up and select "Options & Supplies".

You should then see a box with several choices, one of which will be "driver". Select that and scroll on down or up until you find the driver you installed. Make sure the driver is showing in that box and then close the dialog.

Try a test print to see if that worked. If not, you may have to completely remove the printer and reinstall it.
QUOTE Thanks
LarryLarson

Thanks. I cannot highlight "HP 1200" in Printers and Fax because it's not there, or anywhere else I've looked.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK, that means the HP 1200 has somehow been removed. Try reinstalling your HP 1200 from your original disk or software. After doing that, the driver will likely show up or it will just start to work. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
LarryLarson

I've downloaded both from disk and HP, but it still doesn't show up.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, did you try this:

Open System Preferences, Print & Fax. On the left side of the box will be where the printer should show up. Click on the small + sign at the bottom of the box. Your HP 1200 should be listed there. If it does, click on it and that will start the installation.
QUOTE Thanks
LarryLarson

It's not listed there or anywhere else.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If it was installed, it should be listed as soon as you click on that small plus sign. Let me see if I can figure something out....

OK, do this:

Open your Finder and make your way here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Printers/

See if your HP 1200 is listed there and let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
LarryLarson

not there.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If your printer didn't show up there, it's not installed. A quick check with HP at their website states that the HP 1200 software and driver is included with Mac OS X 10.6.X (Snow Leopard). I could not find a driver to download on their site. There may be a third party driver that might work. But what is strange is that you stated the driver disappeared and you downloaded a new driver.
QUOTE Thanks
LarryLarson

I did download one from Gutenberg, but it didn't show up anywhere either. And I ran both startup disks that came with the computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up/Cleaning | Remap power key on bootcamp. »