New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help with wi-fi internet access

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danzio

danzio is on a distinguished road

I've had my MacBook Pro for a few weeks and have had no problems with my wifi but all of a sudden the past couple of days the pages started loading slowly and now will not load at all. My diagnostics show no ISP, no internet. My other devices on wifi are working fine. I've run the diagnostics several times but it just tells me to re-start the router but I've done that several times and now see the router is not the problem. Any ideas, help needed and much appreciated.

QUOTE Thanks
danzio

Well just after posting this problem on my Win 7 laptop, I went back to the MacBook and there was a new window asking for my network password. Weird.... I couldn't get to that prompt before. It is working for the time being so I hope it was just an anomaly. But I don't understand what happened.

I'll be back if it collapses again..
QUOTE Thanks
danzio

Okay well the fix was short-lived. I'm back to not being able to connect to the internet even though there is no problem connecting to my wifi network.

Any help appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Assuming this is a new MacBook Pro, we can probably eliminate a hardware problem. Here's what I suggest:

Take your MacBook Pro to someplace that has free WiFi: Starbucks, Panera, McDonalds, etc, and see if you can connect to their system. In other words, let's change the location assuming that your router and setup is OK since you can use other devices on the network. Let us know how that goes and we can progress from there depending on your results.
QUOTE Thanks
danzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Assuming this is a new MacBook Pro, we can probably eliminate a hardware problem. Here's what I suggest:

Take your MacBook Pro to someplace that has free WiFi: Starbucks, Panera, McDonalds, etc, and see if you can connect to their system. In other words, let's change the location assuming that your router and setup is OK since you can use other devices on the network. Let us know how that goes and we can progress from there depending on your results.
I will try this and get back to you.

Thanks,
Dan
QUOTE Thanks
danzio

Well I'm not sure what the problem was...or is. I took the MacBook to the Apple store last night after work and the guy at the Genius Bar (genius) says he ran some program on it and should resolve my problem. Well when I got home nothing had changed, still no internet connection. So this morning I spent a couple of hours on chat and subsequent phone call with my ISP (Time Warner Cable) and after several attempts at troubleshooting the router I do believe that is where the problem lies. I'm using a Arris DG680 Modem/Router and I think the router portion of this device is garbage. I am going to go out today and get a stand alone router and then switch the modem into bridge mode. I've never liked this modem/router combination but now I think it's time for a change.

Now, do I want an Apple Extreme or ? Maybe over to the networking forum.

Thanks for your input.
Dan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Hard Drive question | Macbook Pro with a Mac Pro hard drive? »