New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Air display vs iPad mini display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hthomas

hthomas is on a distinguished road

This is could be a VERY dumb question. I am thinking of getting a iPad Mini to pair with my Macbook air. I do ALOT of tv watching and movies on my macbook air. A friend of mine has a iPad 2 and it seemed to have a better display than my air even with a lower output resolution. Why is that?

Will the regular iPad mini have a better display for tv shows and overall in general compared my macbook air?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Hard to say. You didn't tell us what model MacBook Air you have.

It's also hard to say...since you didn't define what you mean by "better display". What was better about it?

Also remember...if there are no technical differences..."better display" can be a very subjective analysis. Just like looking at 20 different flat panel TV's side by side in an electronics store.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The iPad has a retina screen which is why the resolution and clarity looks better. I have an iPad 3 and an iMac. My iPad 3 has a better looking screen than my iMac even though it's considerably smaller. The newer iPad Mini now has a retina screen which should give you a clear better looking picture than your MBA. That is if you don't mind viewing TV on such a small screen. My eyes are too old for that.
QUOTE Thanks
hthomas

I have a 13in air that I bought this year. The image on the iPad 2 just looks clearer and looks great.

So even though the iPad mini has a lower output resolution with the retina screen it will still have a better picture? NOTE - I am talking about the regular iPad mini NOT the iPad Mini w/ retina display
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthomas View Post
I have a 13in air that I bought this year.
This really isn't the best way to identify the model of a MacBook Air. Someone purchasing a MacBook Air "this year"...could have purchased:

- a brand new 2013 MacBook Air
- a refurbished 2012 model MacBook Air
- a used Macbook Air via e-Bay or Craig's List

Computers are technical devices...and the question you're asking could have a technical answer. But not knowing the exact model MacBook Air you have makes answering a technical question difficult.

Quote:
The image on the iPad 2 just looks clearer and looks great.
If we're talking about a brand new model 13" 2013 MacBook Air and an iPad 2. The 2013 13" MacBook Air has a display resolution of 1440 x 900 (127ppi). And iPad 2 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768 (132ppi).

So technically speaking...the iPad 2 has a slightly higher resolution display than a 13" 2013 MacBook Air (132ppi vs. 127ppi). But I sort of doubt that this would be that dramatic visually.

Also consider that the two display's are:

- different sizes (13.3" vs. 9.7")
- the two displays may not have been set at the same brightness level
- the two displays may be made by different manufacturers
- the graphics processors of the two devices are different

And finally as I mentioned above...someone saying that one display is better than another display can be very subjective. Ask a 2nd or a 3rd person...and they may have the opposite opinion.

There are also ways that someone can describe what they mean by "better display".

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
hthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This really isn't the best way to identify the model of a MacBook Air. Someone purchasing a MacBook Air "this year"...could have purchased:

- a brand new 2013 MacBook Air
- a refurbished 2012 model MacBook Air
- a used Macbook Air via e-Bay or Craig's List

Computers are technical devices...and the question you're asking could have a technical answer. But not knowing the exact model MacBook Air you have makes answering a technical question difficult.

If we're talking about a brand new model 13" 2013 MacBook Air and an iPad 2. The 2013 13" MacBook Air has a display resolution of 1440 x 900 (127ppi). And iPad 2 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768 (132ppi).

So technically speaking...the iPad 2 has a slightly higher resolution display than a 13" 2013 MacBook Air (132ppi vs. 127ppi). But I sort of doubt that this would be that dramatic visually.

Also consider that the two display's are:

- different sizes (13.3" vs. 9.7")
- the two displays may not have been set at the same brightness level
- the two displays may be made by different manufacturers
- the graphics processors of the two devices are different

And finally as I mentioned above...someone saying that one display is better than another display can be very subjective. Ask a 2nd or a 3rd person...and they may have the opposite opinion.

There are also ways that someone can describe what they mean by "better display".

- Nick

Thanks for this info! I have a brand new Air this year. So comparing that 127ppi of the Air to lets say a iPad mini with 1024 by 768 with 163ppi, the iPad mini would have a noticeable difference in picture correct?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks for this info! I have a brand new Air this year. So comparing that 127ppi of the Air to lets say a iPad mini with 1024 by 768 with 163ppi, the iPad mini would have a noticeable difference in picture correct?
I would think that the iPad mini would look sharper. Which in my opinion may be great for reading text...but may or may not be everyone's cup of tea when it comes to TV watching. Best idea would be to go to an Apple Store (if possible)...and check it out in person.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Mid 2009 | MacBook Air 2013 : Folder turned into Document WTH? »