New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What Mac Should I Buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

applegeek911

applegeek911 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2007 20" iMac (2.0GHz) | 2008 13" MacBook (2.0GHz) | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 4 8GB | iPod Video 30GB

Though I'd like the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro or 2013 Hazwell MacBook Air, unfortunately that fit in my budget right now. I looked at some refurbushed machines on the Apple Store website and the cheapest 13" MacBook Air would take me almost 4 years to save for :)

However, I stumbled upon this website called Mac of All Trades which sells refurbushed Macs for affordable prices. All of their machines come with 90-day warranties and some include AppleCare. http://www.MacofAllTrades.com

Right now, I'm between buying a Late 2008 Alluminum MacBook and a Mid 2010 MacBook White Unibody

What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Buy the latest model MacBook Pro you can afford. Buying an early MacBook or MacBook Pro may not be able to run the latest versions of Mac OS X. And that will also impact on which software you will be able to run. To answer your question direct - buy the 2010 model White MacBook. Also, keep your eye out on Craig's List. Sometimes you can get a real bargain there. Just be careful who you're dealing with.
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by applegeek911 View Post
Though I'd like the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro or 2013 Hazwell MacBook Air, unfortunately that fit in my budget right now. I looked at some refurbushed machines on the Apple Store website and the cheapest 13" MacBook Air would take me almost 4 years to save for

However, I stumbled upon this website called Mac of All Trades which sells refurbushed Macs for affordable prices. All of their machines come with 90-day warranties and some include AppleCare. Buy & Sell Refurbished & Used Mac Products | mac of all trades

Right now, I'm between buying a Late 2008 Alluminum MacBook and a Mid 2010 MacBook White Unibody

What do you guys think?
I'd certainly recommend going the used route over new/apple.. economically it's a wise move, and face it, most Macs are plenty fast enough! for students, a 2009 Macbook pro or 2009/2010 Unibody macbook is way fast enough for 98% of daily 'stuff'...the unibody style Macs are hugely reliable, and I think most of them are going to be around for a decade, short of abuse/liquid damage....

Personally, I'd go for a used Macbook pro 13" or white unibody - - you should be able to get into either one with upgrades & extras for less than 50% of the price of a new Macbook Pro..

that said, where to go....

Mac Of all trades? IMHO, they're a decent company, albeit with some complaints as well.

Personally, I (working with a local school) sold them a bunch of used systems (out of the school) several years back, and while we (the school) eventually got paid, it was a. less than originally stated and b. a long time coming. But that was a couple years ago, so maybe things have changed. I'm not gonna knock 'em heavily for that...

As a consumer, they're probably worth considering. I would look at any of the Mac suppliers who've been around for more than a decade.

My personal short-list of suppliers and recommendations:

Low End Mac: Make the most of your Apple gear - - they have a list of vendors, although they seem to be getting rather slow at doing updates ...

Apple Computers - New Macs, Used Macs & Accessories | PowerMax - ugly website, but tons of info. have bought a couple systems from them over the years and have been treated well. So, along with Forrest Gump, "ugly is as ugly does"...

Wegener Media - Mac Sales and Service - they photograph every Mac for you to look at.. I've bought 2 there this year and been quite happy, and have more than a few clients who've bought from them.. The photos are a nice bonus, if you're considering a used Mac. [I'd recommend getting photos from any company offering used machines]

chscag - sorry, but please don't go recommending craigslist.

WAY too many documented cases of rape and armed robberies from craigslist connections (I know 2 firsthand!).. Life is too short to be risking getting shot for your saved-up pennies!

One final word of warning... avoid Gainsaver, like the plague! check BBB ratings on any company you're considering, and if they aren't A, don't go with them..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Output or Input audio ?! | Refurbished Air vs Pro help »