New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Should I upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eranz3

eranz3 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I'm going to buy my first mac (lucky me... actually my first computer wae an apple IIc....).
It's going to be a macbook pro retina 13', probably with 8GB ram and 256GB SSD.
I'm not a heavy user but will do some pic editing, a bit of statistics (like SPSS), net surfing and "office" stuff.
And now for the question - what do u think, should i upgrade to i7 processor, ram to 16GB or none???

Thanks,
Eran.
QUOTE Thanks
Alcorel

Alcorel is on a distinguished road

For the use you'll give to your MBP, I'd say the current specs are enough, however whether or not to upgrade is just a matter of how much you're willing to pay for the machine. Maxing RAM or the processor through Apple can become very expensive but that a dilemma every MBPr/MBA has, that is, knowing what to buy when having a limited upgradable machine.

Consider going for the non-retina MBP, it's a powerful machine and leaves you more room for future upgrades in case you need them
QUOTE Thanks
eranz3

eranz3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your comment, let me reask -
What would make a better impact - changing the processor to i7 or upgrading the ram to 16GB?
or maybe both would be insignificant???

Thanks,
Eran.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

I would say RAM. At some point down the line, a slower processor will require a bit of patience. Shortage of RAM though will = needing a new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Alcorel

Alcorel is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, you won't notice an i5 vs i7. However, when it comes to RAM, or an HDD vs SSD, in these you'll notice significant difference in performance...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

By all means, upgrade the memory on that machine to the maximum you can afford. Also, the flash drive. The retina machines are not upgradeable once you buy them. What you buy is what you're stuck with. Keep that in mind.
QUOTE Thanks
GeoFan49

GeoFan49 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB iPad 1 Wi-Fi iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE

Does anybody really need more than 8GB if they are only running a few programs? I have 8GB on my 2009 MacBook Pro and have never seen it filled it up (checking Activity Monitor.) Yes, sometimes I run Excel, with Chrome and 20 or 30 tabs open, and a few other things too.
QUOTE Thanks
markusaurileus

markusaurileus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 7,1 | Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | OS 10.8.5

+1 for the non-retina version of the MBP

Ability to upgrade/replace parts is a must for me, as well as having a disc drive.

Up to 8GB is all you really need unless running logic and super multitasking, or something along those lines. I'd use the money on more SSD space instead of going for an i7. More power consumption too, right?

Also, the regular screen still of course has really great picture and is more than nice enough for most.
Although I guess with the retina display, you can see those numbers and fonts so much clearer when running your statistics and office programs lol

"Babe, if you were DNA, I'd wanna be your helicase so I could unzip those genes." So smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
GeoFan49

GeoFan49 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB iPad 1 Wi-Fi iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE

Another +1 for the non-retina version of the MBP! I would never buy something that could not be easily upgraded, having upgraded RAM or disc drives or replaced batteries in nearly every laptop computer I have ever owned, at one time or another.

IF you want to spend the extra money, I would say a faster processor would have a better Cost/Benefit ratio than extra RAM would, 8GB should be more than adequate. I have been a heavy user of a MacBook Pro (upgraded from 2GB to 4GB) and rarely saw much swapping with VM (virtual memory page transfers.) I recently upgraded from 4GB to 8GB so I can run Windows under VMWare Fusion (which recommends 6GB.) The SSD will also make RAM / VM transfers much faster, alleviating any swapping delays.

You can do a lot with 4GB. Only a huge spreadsheet would need any more RAM. For your purposes, 8GB should be more than adequate.

Just my 2 . Enjoy your new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« helppp!!! my magsafe doesn't charge my battery | how to copy Final Cut Pro x to usb »