Start up programmes...
    How do I stop programmes starting up when I switch on my MBA. I've gone into system preferences but the programmes are not listed there, and they are NOT ticked to open up on the bar at the bottom of my screen (not sure of the name of it)

Its my email, and iMessages that opens up automatically.

Thanks

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    System Preferences -> Users Groups -> choose [ Login Items ]. Should be able to add or remove what you want to start or not start up there..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

The programmes are not listed when I go through system preferences and so on...

Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.12.latest
    What programs are you talking about ?
    Some application use launch services and may not be visible in System Preferences/User/Login Items

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Right click the icon in the dock

Uncheck 'Open at Login'.

When you shut the machine down, make sure you uncheck the box that offers to open the apps that you currently have open the next time you log in.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

its my email, and messages that open up. The box to open at start up is un ticked in the doc, so I'm a tad confused...

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by emtaylor90 View Post
    its my email, and messages that open up. The box to open at start up is un ticked in the doc, so I'm a tad confused...
    There are two possible situations here:

1. Applications that are set to open automatically when the computer is started up "cold" (not Sleeping)...via the instructions mentioned above.

2. When the computer is Restarted or Shutdown (via the Apple menu)...a user is presented with a window that says:

- "Are you sure you want to Restart your computer now?"...or..."Are you sure you want to Shutdown your computer now?". Then you click the appropriate button.

- This window also has a check box that says, "Reopen windows when logging back in?" Which (I believe) is checked by default.

With this box checked...if you restart or shutdown the computer...then everything that was open before shutting down or restarting will reopen upon startup. This box needed to be "un-checked/deselected"...if you do not want this to happen.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Never really thought about all the different ways OSX makes it easy to startup programs at startup.. Can get confusing at which one is starting your program.

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Thread Information