New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Start up programmes...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emtaylor90

emtaylor90 is on a distinguished road

How do I stop programmes starting up when I switch on my MBA. I've gone into system preferences but the programmes are not listed there, and they are NOT ticked to open up on the bar at the bottom of my screen (not sure of the name of it)

Its my email, and iMessages that opens up automatically.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

System Preferences -> Users Groups -> choose [ Login Items ]. Should be able to add or remove what you want to start or not start up there..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
emtaylor90

The programmes are not listed when I go through system preferences and so on...
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

What programs are you talking about ?
Some application use launch services and may not be visible in System Preferences/User/Login Items

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Right click the icon in the dock

Uncheck 'Open at Login'.

When you shut the machine down, make sure you uncheck the box that offers to open the apps that you currently have open the next time you log in.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
emtaylor90

its my email, and messages that open up. The box to open at start up is un ticked in the doc, so I'm a tad confused...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtaylor90 View Post
its my email, and messages that open up. The box to open at start up is un ticked in the doc, so I'm a tad confused...
There are two possible situations here:

1. Applications that are set to open automatically when the computer is started up "cold" (not Sleeping)...via the instructions mentioned above.

2. When the computer is Restarted or Shutdown (via the Apple menu)...a user is presented with a window that says:

- "Are you sure you want to Restart your computer now?"...or..."Are you sure you want to Shutdown your computer now?". Then you click the appropriate button.

- This window also has a check box that says, "Reopen windows when logging back in?" Which (I believe) is checked by default.

With this box checked...if you restart or shutdown the computer...then everything that was open before shutting down or restarting will reopen upon startup. This box needed to be "un-checked/deselected"...if you do not want this to happen.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Never really thought about all the different ways OSX makes it easy to startup programs at startup.. Can get confusing at which one is starting your program.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! Where Did My Photos Go??? | Macbook retina gpu »