New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Custom Setting of 1440x900 for Retina on Windows 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Olbert

Olbert is on a distinguished road

I was wondering the best setting for using Windows 7 on my Retina screen with the intention of gaming. I was thinking that 1440 x 900 would be the best resolution but no native setting for this exists. NVIDA does allow custom resolution but gives a big warning about it destroying your screen - so I thought I would ask before I create one. If I create a custom resolution of 1440x900 and leave all other settings as default, will this be ok for the retina screen?

Also, am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I set it to a different already support resolution?
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Why not match the resolution to that of the Retina display?
QUOTE Thanks
Olbert

Because the text is tiny even at 150% DPI and the graphics card can't handle modern FPS games at full resolution.

My thinking was that at exactly half the resolution of the retina (4 retina pixels for every on screen pixel) there would be no introduced fuzziness.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not going to happen. Your retina machine will look and work best at its native resolution, and - you need to take into account that Windows and Windows games are not optimized for the retina display. As a matter of fact it's going to be awhile before games for OS X are optimized for the retina.
QUOTE Thanks
Olbert

I'm aware the retina screen wont look as crisp at other resolutions but that isn't the point! The point is to be able to play modern FPS games at a reasonable resolution but at a fast enough speed.

I was wondering if there was a sweet spot, like exactly half the native resolution (hence the 1440x900) which will map 4 retina pixels to 1 on screen pixels. Depending on how the computer handles this, it could look just fine. Unfortunately there is a big warning when I try and create this custom resolution (because it isn't a default option) about how it could destroy my screen. So, the first question I would like answered is, will creating a custom resolution of 1440x900 destroy my screen? (Assuming all other settings are left default).

The second question is, are there better defualt resolutions for gaming? That is all I'm looking to use it for.

The option: leave it at full resolution doesn't exist. I need to lower the resolution so that I can play FPS games. I could just put it at any old low resolution but I was wondering if there was a better way to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would suggest you try the already available resolutions downgrading and experimenting with one at a time until you get to the point where you are satisfied with the frame rate / game play.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Check this link
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Folder with question mark on startup | Keyboard / Trackpad Freeze 13 in. late-2013 rMBP »