Thread: user name

user name
    i just bought my first mac and i think I've set myself up as the admin but a lot of my files have the old guys name in the address.....ex: user/program/his name not mine/music

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    OK. That's to be expect if it's a (presumably) second hand machine.

You haven't actually added a question. What is it you'd like to know?

Can you also let us know which Mac it and which version of OSX.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

maybe I'm being picky but id like it to say my name

mac book pro early 2011 with osx 10.9

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    There are ways to rename the home folder but if I were you I'd use this guide to create a 10.9 install drive and do a clean OS install so that you negate any issues in the future. That way it'll also mean everything will be the way you want it

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Problem with making a USB thumb drive is you have to have an Apple ID account and have downloaded Mavericks OS X.9. Unlike other, older operating systems, including Snow Leopard OS X.6 and earlier, ownership is always with the Apple ID holder and does not transfer like DVD system install discs did.

Mavericks OS X.9 is free, so open up an Apple ID by selecting App Store and download the 5GB odd download, burn to USB thumb drive and do a clean install and enter your details and password.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I'm sure that a clean install would be the best idea but frankly i lack the confidence.......i assume that if i did something wrong i could lose a lot of my files.....any less risky suggestions?

Specs:
    Don't take this the wrong way but renaming the home folder requires a lot of confidence in what your doing.
    Your changing ownership permissions from the root of the system and if not followed to the letter or if unexpected issues arise (who knows what's happened on a pre owned machine) you can end with a very unstable or non-functional system.
    Instructions here

Even once the home folder has been changed you'll still have apps and accounts in the previous owners name. You can't change the ownership/Apple ID on applications the previous owner has purchased on the App Store.

I would strongly suggest a clean install. I can provide instructions if required.

However, whichever way you go you must have a backup. Whether that's a full disk image, a time machine backup or just copying your irreplaceable data off the machine manually. I'd recommend a regular backup anyway but making any kind of wholesale system changes like this it's essential. I'd also suggest have an OSX 9 USB installer is good practice too.

Sorry to sound so preachy.

Thread Information