New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Best HDD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonzjob

Jonzjob is an unknown at this point

I have a MBP13" April 2010 and want to upgrade the 250 gig HDD to either 500 or 750 gig. I have had a look at various options on amazon U.K. but I'm having difficulty trying to decide which would be the best choice. I also have to watch the centimes

I want to get a 7200 rpm drive. I am also going to upgrade to Maverics at the same time. I have the USB key all ready to go

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not going SSD, my current choice would be a WD Black in the largest size you can afford.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Just ordered a WD Black 750gig 7200 jobbie and a SATA ext HDD case for the 250 disk coming out.

That should cover it me-thinks?

Ta yet again Bob

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzjob View Post
I have a MBP13" April 2010 and want to upgrade the 250 gig HDD to either 500 or 750 gig. I have had a look at various options on amazon U.K. but I'm having difficulty trying to decide which would be the best choice. I also have to watch the centimes

I want to get a 7200 rpm drive. I am also going to upgrade to Maverics at the same time. I have the USB key all ready to go
a 1tb SSHD (running at 5400rpm) will outperform ANY standard 7200rpm conventional drive.

They're about $100 on amazon.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Convert $$$$ to ££££ and you have the price this side of the Cut and that makes it too much for this retirée

But ta for the thought..

John.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Those had to have gotten better since I tried one.
Had a 19 sec boot time with it.

It got yanked out of my machine less than 2 weeks later and put my WD Black back in it.
Boot time went up to 26 seconds.
Everything else worked so much better it wasn't even a race.

That money is still a paperweight on a shelf in the office.
Haven't considered them again.
Which means I'm probably behind the times... again.
But, the WD Blacks are still some good drives.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
But, the WD Blacks are still some good drives.
Agree. While the prices on SSHDs have come down, I still don't trust them. If I'm going to buy something that's fast, I'm going with the new Crucial SSDs. Great bang for your $.
QUOTE Thanks
Dieter3

Dieter3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB

I've had really good luck with the OWC Mercury line of SSDs.

For conventional drives I'm very partial to the Hitachi line, which I guess have been bought by WD, but are still made at the same plant where they always have been, or so I'm led to believe.

Granted, I've never used the 2.5" drives, just the 3.5" Deskstars, but I have yet to be disappointed.

Have yet to experiment with the hybrids so can't comment on those.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Well, all is up and running with the new 750 gig HDD and I also got 8 gig of RAM while I was at it. Maveric is clean installed and after a bit of a problem everything is where it should be. That's on another thread though. I bought Crucial memory as I have used them before and they have a very good reputation.

Another question I ask on another thread was would the 4 gig for the MBP slot into my iMac 21 1/2" machine. The icing on the cake is that it does and is working fine!!! And I now have 8 gig on there too.

Thank you for the help you have given me. It is really appreciated!

John.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

Another question I ask on another thread was would the 4 gig for the MBP slot into my iMac 21 1/2" machine. The icing on the cake is that it does and is working fine!!! And I now have 8 gig on there too.
Congratulations...a double success!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Agree. While the prices on SSHDs have come down, I still don't trust them. If I'm going to buy something that's fast, I'm going with the new Crucial SSDs. Great bang for your $.
I've been using one of Seagate's SSHDs in my MacBook Pro (and previously MacBook) for almost a year now, and it's great. I want the best of both worlds (speed and capacity) and they absolutely nail it.

Definitely better than they used to be.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
SODworks

SODworks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See signature block :)

Thanks for that post. I'm buying the maxxed out version of the 27" iMac when I get back and was wondering what I should do with the 8GB memory I will take out to be replaced with 32GB memory. I will put it in my missus's Macbook Pro

Was thinking about selling it at first but this is a win win situation right here. Thanks

 iMac 2012 2.9GHZ i5 1TB SSD 32GB Ram 660m 512MB GFX  Mac Mini 2012 2.5GHZ i5 500GB HDD 8GB Ram Intel HD 4000 GFX  13" MBP 2009  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 5S 32GB  ATV 2 & 3  TC 3TB 2011  Airport Extreme 2013  Airport Express x2 2012 
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

You are welcome SP. It makes a nice change yo help rather than being helped all the time

Don't forget that there are just 2 slots in the MBP..

John.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB Ports - No Data Transfer | Macbook air trackpad »