New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Opinions on buying refurb Retina MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I just pulled the trigger and ordered this

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

$2459
Originally released February 2013
15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

So, if anyone has any good reasons why I should cancel and go for a new Haswell based MBP, let's here them.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Sounds like a fantastic machine Mike. Good price too. I love that 768 GB flash drive! Go for it and don't look back! (Don't forget to buy Apple Care from B & H.)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Sounds like a fantastic machine Mike. Good price too. I love that 768 GB flash drive! Go for it and don't look back! (Don't forget to buy Apple Care from B & H.)
Thanks, Charlie!

Just suffering a bit of 'Big Ticket Item' angst. Got my eye on Apple Care at B&H, $244 instead of $349 from Apple.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yeah, I know the feeling. I felt the same way when I purchased a new Camry for the wife some years ago. Ever since, I've been too cheap to purchase another new car.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yeah, I know the feeling. I felt the same way when I purchased a new Camry for the wife some years ago. Ever since, I've been too cheap to purchase another new car.
We owned 3 Camrys (all bought used). Great cars!

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Mike, you know my opinion of the rMBP, so I will only say that it is my sincere hope that it holds up for you.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Mike, you know my opinion of the rMBP, so I will only say that it is my sincere hope that it holds up for you.
I understand and agree.

Just couldn't pass on the Retina screen for photography. Gritting my teeth on the rest.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Looks like a nice computer Mike! Definitely a great idea to get the 15" if you don't want to have to always "fool" with an external monitor...yet still have decent screen real estate for photgraphy work.

Also...according to Everymac.com...there was no official/stock 2.8ghz i7 15" Early 2013 MBP...just a 2.7ghz model. So this refurbished unit must have been an upgraded/pre-configured with the faster 2.8ghz cpu.

The only "watch-out" I can see is...the cost of that 768gig of flash storage. That's got to add a decent amount to the cost. I know that Apple doesn't expect us to be able to upgrade the storage after purchase...but it does seem to be possible...as long as someone (OWC) comes up with a solution.

I know that you're going to enjoy it. Especially upgrading from a 2007 MBP!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Looks like a nice computer Mike! Definitely a great idea to get the 15" if you don't want to have to always "fool" with an external monitor...yet still have decent screen real estate for photgraphy work.

Also...according to Everymac.com...there was no official/stock 2.8ghz i7 15" Early 2013 MBP...just a 2.7ghz model. So this refurbished unit must have been an upgraded/pre-configured with the faster 2.8ghz cpu.

The only "watch-out" I can see is...the cost of that 768gig of flash storage. That's got to add a decent amount to the cost. I know that Apple doesn't expect us to be able to upgrade the storage after purchase...but it does seem to be possible...as long as someone (OWC) comes up with a solution.

I know that you're going to enjoy it. Especially upgrading from a 2007 MBP!

- Nick
I guess at this point the only thing I'm waffling on is whether a Haswell MBP would be better.

For almost the same price I can get the i7 2.3 GHz Haswell based, that is almost identical in speed, but has a 512 instead of 768 flash drive.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
I guess at this point the only thing I'm waffling on is whether a Haswell MBP would be better.

For almost the same price I can get the i7 2.3 GHz Haswell based, that is almost identical in speed, but has a 512 instead of 768 flash drive.
I hate to confuse things. But if it were me...I would go with the latest & greatest if we're talking the same price (but less storage)...especially if reviews of the new MBP's are favorable vs. previous models.

Apple is always changing things, adding features, adding abilities...and sometimes only the newer models are capable of taking advantage of these things. For example there are features in newer MacBook Pro's that even 2011/2012 MBP's cannot take advantage of.

So I'm thinking you might as well go with the latest & greatest (I really hate the term "future-proof")...but I guess that can apply.

The rMBP you have ordered already has the downsides of non-upgradeability...so it's not like we're taking an upgradeable MBP vs. non-upgradeable. I think that you will be fine with 512gig of storage. And who knows...it may be upgradeable at some point.

For what you're spending...treat yourself to something brand spanking new. How the heck often do we get to do that! And since the price tag is essentially the same between the two models...that's a plus as well. If the price tags were a lot different...then I would say stick with the refurbished.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. I haven't really done the research on the two models...but of course look very closely at the graphics abilities of the two models (from reviews and benchmarks). I think that this is a very important area. Graphics improvements on newer computers is where a lot of the "action" is...versus just cpu speed improvements.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Well . . . cold feet got the best of me and I cancelled the order.

I'll probably wait a bit for reviews to come out on the new MBPs before reordering.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

On the surface the Haswell one should get better battery life. Otherwise till someone does some proper testing, not sure what to say.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
Well . . . cold feet got the best of me and I cancelled the order.

I'll probably wait a bit for reviews to come out on the new MBPs before reordering.
As difficult as a decision it must have been to cancel the order...I bet that you'll feel better once you have all the info on the new models.

At about $2500 for that MBP...who knows...maybe you'll end up with the new Mac Pro!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Just read the Techcrunch review (member Checco posted a link in another thread), and am now glad I cancelled.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

As you know I PMed you this MacWorld review of the new 13" rMBP's (no 15" rMBP info yet). Posting it here for others to read as well:

Benchmarks: Upgraded graphics boost new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro | Macworld

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 13 Haswell Keyboard/Trackpad Freeze | Macbook pro early 2011 final cut causes graphic card glitches »