Thread: Brand New rMBP

Brand New rMBP
    Hey guys,

I just bought a 13'' retina Macbook Pro and it's amazing. I've had it for 3 days now and have only downloaded a couple apps and uploaded 3 albums onto iTunes.
    But when I check how much storage I have it says that I've already used 81 out of 120 GB of storage. I find this very hard to believe considering I just bought the notebook.
    Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I read that it might be from the Mail cache...

Thanks,
    M

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mconway0003 View Post
    But when I check how much storage I have it says that I've already used 81 out of 120 GB of storage.
    Any chance you might have gotten the numbers backwards? Instead of 81gig used...it's actually 81gig free (and about 40 gig used)?

Just checking,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Check what Nick said carefully as 3 albums say using AAC and a couple of apps should not take up 80GB with the OS. Did it come with Mountain Lion or Mavericks?

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Any chance you might have gotten the numbers backwards? Instead of 81gig used...it's actually 81gig free (and about 40 gig used)?

Just checking,

- Nick
    Yes I'm sure it's 81 USED because there's 30gigs that are colored yellow and listed as "other", while the other 10 gigs are "movies," "audio," "photos," "apps," and "backups"

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Check what Nick said carefully as 3 albums say using AAC and a couple of apps should not take up 80GB with the OS. Did it come with Mountain Lion or Mavericks?
    I have Mountain Lion installed.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Well, there is the Software Apple gives you when you purchase a new Mac. That still sounds high for a brand new machine.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    The best way to nail down what is consuming space is to run an analyzer utility on it. Personally, I use WhatSize, though it is not freeware.

Disk Inventory X and Grand Perspective are both freeware, but don't give as much useful information in my opinion.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Well, there is the Software Apple gives you when you purchase a new Mac. That still sounds high for a brand new machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    The best way to nail down what is consuming space is to run an analyzer utility on it. Personally, I use WhatSize, though it is not freeware.

Disk Inventory X and Grand Perspective are both freeware, but don't give as much useful information in my opinion.
    So I ran Disk Inventory X and it says that i have about 10.7 gigs worth of data in the /private/var/vm folder. "sleepimage" is 8.0 gigs and "swapfile1-2" is about 2gigs.
    Can I just delete these?

Yes I'm sure it's 81 USED because there's 30gigs that are colored yellow and listed as "other", while the other 10 gigs are "movies," "audio," "photos," "apps," and "backups"
    120gb minus (30 + 10) would be about 80gb free.

Congrats on the purchase of your 13" Pro. I have the same Macbook which I upgraded from an 11" MBA to get and I'm STILL blow away by the screen after many months. Now with Mavericks the battery life and performance is even better. There are few things in life that after you spend a lot of money on them that you are so glad you did later, this is one of them.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    So I ran Disk Inventory X and it says that i have about 10.7 gigs worth of data in the /private/var/vm folder. "sleepimage" is 8.0 gigs and "swapfile1-2" is about 2gigs.
    Can I just delete these?
    No. "sleepimage" is the contents of your Mac's memory when it last went into deep sleep (or hibernate). If you have 8GB of RAM, the image will be 8GB.

Swapfile is your computer's virtual memory and needs to be there for OS X to manage memory appropriately for you.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information