Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Finding a quality hardshell case for my 2010 Macbook Pro? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/304738-finding-quality-hardshell-case-my-2010-macbook-pro.html)

AJP24 10-24-2013 01:58 PM

Finding a quality hardshell case for my 2010 Macbook Pro?

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 17". I would like to purchase a hard case, but neither Speck or InCase have them for my size/model. Can anyone recommend an alternate brand that has a proven track record?

pigoo3 10-24-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP24 (Post 1545200)
I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 17". I would like to purchase a hard case, but neither Speck or InCase have them for my size/model. Can anyone recommend an alternate brand that has a proven track record?

This is a difficult one. Ever since Apple discontinued the 17" MBP...the supply of hard shell cases has really dried up. When I was looking about 8-10 months ago...Speck was the only place that still had them (and there wasn't many choices).

Your best bets are e-Bay or Amazon (new or used).

HTH,

- Nick

rcorph 10-26-2013 04:58 PM

Check out Tom Bihn Brain Cell. Not crush proof but a padded sling system inside hard sided case. It will also go into a backpack or messenger bag. I have one for my 17 and like it.

AJP24 10-27-2013 04:30 PM

Nick, the odd thing is that I called Speck, and was told that they started making cases for Macbook Pros AFTER my mid-2010 model. I'd be happy to find one on eBay or Amazon, but if what I was told is true, I'm concerned it might not be a perfect fit and may damage my (now-precious) 17" laptop... :|

pigoo3 10-28-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP24 (Post 1546112)
Nick, the odd thing is that I called Speck, and was told that they started making cases for Macbook Pros AFTER my mid-2010 model. I'd be happy to find one on eBay or Amazon, but if what I was told is true, I'm concerned it might not be a perfect fit and may damage my (now-precious) 17" laptop... :|

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things...but I used to have a 2007 17" MacBook Pro (before the Unibody MacBook Pro's) that I also had a Speck hardshell case for. And now I have an "Early 2011" 17" MacBook Pro also with a Speck hardshell case.

Speck has been in business since 2001...and Speck has been making hardshell cases for Macintosh laptops for a long time. Like I mentioned...Speck made hard shell cases for the pre-Unibody 17" MacBook Pros (I had a 2007 17" MBP with a Speck hard case)...and Speck made hard cases for Unibody 17" MBP's (I have one).

Believe me...Speck made a case for your 17" MBP. They're just hard to find...since they are no longer made.

I did a quick e-Bay search...why wouldn't these work?:

Speck SPK A1183 See thru Hard Shell Clear Case for MacBook Pro 17" | eBay
Speck SPK A1183 See thru Hard Shell Clear Case for MacBook Pro 17" | eBay
Speck SPK A1184 See thru Satin Hard Shell Case for MacBook Pro 17" in Black | eBay

I actually have the Speck black Satin case. But I didn't pay anywhere near the $130 the e-Bay seller is asking for it! These guys know that these things are no longer made...so they are charging a TON for them!!!:(

- Nick