New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question about new 15" mbp purchase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

colorwheel

colorwheel is on a distinguished road

I bought a new macbook pro (2.3ghz version with 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, and the 750m card). The main need for this beast of a machine is dealing with video editing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to return this and pay the extra for the 1tb ssd and/or pay the extra for the 2.6ghz i7? Please explain what difference either of these choices would make.

Also whats the best way to protect the notebook from theft and damage.

And one last thing is the apple care 3 year protection worth it? Or is there something better I can purchase that will protect against accidental damage (ie best buy warranty).

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorwheel View Post
I bought a new macbook pro (2.3ghz version with 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, and the 750m card). The main need for this beast of a machine is dealing with video editing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to return this and pay the extra for the 1tb ssd and/or pay the extra for the 2.6ghz i7? Please explain what difference either of these choices would make.
Are you talking about the models that were just released yesterday??. If so...they were just released...have to wait for some reviews to be written.

Quote:
Also whats the best way to protect the notebook from theft and damage.
- never take it away from your home
- never take it out of the box
- never use it

More realistically:

- Buy a hard shell case.
- Treat the computer like it was a dozen eggs.
- (Theft) Never let the computer leave your sight or hands when away from home.

Quote:
And one last thing is the apple care 3 year protection worth it?
It is if something goes wrong. And it isn't if something doesn't go wrong. That's the way it is with warranty's.

Quote:
Or is there something better I can purchase that will protect against accidental damage (ie best buy warranty).
The Best Buy warranty (Geek Squad Protection Plan) does cover accidents (Applecare does not). But you may pay more for it.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
colorwheel

Yes I'm talking about the ones that were just released. For the ssd question, I guess its more aimed at video pros. I already have a bunch of different external hard drives to store data, and I know that for editing projects its generally faster to move the data to your the computers hard drive and then work. I guess I'm worried about potentially not having enough space. I think I'll probably bite the bullet and get the extra space, just a lot of cash ($450) with discount to get it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...SSD's are a lot of cash. You're trading storage capacity for speed (and a boat load of cash)!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
colorwheel

The thing is already spending close to 3 grand for a laptop the extra money seems like less... But it'll be worth it in the long run, and really the closest comparable laptop spec wise is the Dell XPS 15 (which hasn't been released), and even though its a little cheaper you're not getting os x, and you're also getting dell build quality... so there's not really any other mobile options. But it will pay for itself while working on projects.

I guess if any hardware guys no how much slower a thunderbolt 2 connection to a combo sshd drive would be, and they could chime in that could help sway me away from potentially wasting money, that would help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
But it will pay for itself while working on projects.
Exactly. If you can save time on projects. Time is money...and the extras will pay for themselves in the long run.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2013 MBA heating up while running Chrome browser | Best Memory Upgrade - Mid 2012 13" MBP »