New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

13' with 4th Gen i5 or 15' with 3rd Gen i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris0628

chris0628 is on a distinguished road

My question is... which one of the following should i go for main usage will be Photography & Day to Day office (Windows 8.1 on Parallels 9)

Also keep in mind that i tend to travel, so portability is also a key requirement

1. 13 inch 4th Gen i5-4258U (Intel Iris 5100 GPU) + 16GB RAM + 256SSD
2. 15 inch 3rd Gen i7-3610QM (nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M) + 8GB RAM + 256SSD

Thanks
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. Not a "Community Suggestions and Feedback" topic.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0628 View Post

Also keep in mind that i tend to travel, so portability is also a key requirement.
- If portability is a key requirement. Then the 13" MacBook Pro would obviously be the better choice.
- If more powerful graphics hardware is more important...then the 15" MacBook Pro is the obvious choice.

With current Macintosh laptops...you cannot have it both ways. Dedicated graphics is only available in the 15" MacBook Pro models.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
scottmcp432

scottmcp432 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7

The 13" would be my choice. The Intel Iris 5100 should be more than sufficient for your needs unless you plan on gaming on the machine. The Haswell i5 in the 13" is far more power efficient than the Ivy i7 in the 15" also.
QUOTE Thanks
Rperez414

Rperez414 is on a distinguished road

This wasn't one of your options but Apple has the refurb 2012 13" MBPr on blowout prices now. The processing power is almost equal to Haswell and the battery life is only about 1 hour different. On Mavericks I'm getting 8 hrs vs the advertised 9 hours on the 2013.

The main tradeoff will be in the GPU area where the 2013 has the Iris Graphics. But with the Mavericks upgrade the Intel 4000 graphics is much smoother and I've never had any issues with it. It may be a worth it tradeoff if you are getting a 512gb SSD and an I7 processor. That model is going for $1659 right now at the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
chris0628

chris0628 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions.. i will look into it.

One problem i have is that i cannot purchase online from the Apple Store since i do not have a US Credit Card
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0628 View Post
One problem i have is that i cannot purchase online from the Apple Store since i do not have a US Credit Card
If you cannot purchase from the US Apple Online store due to not having a US credit card...maybe you can go to your local US Apple Store...and maybe there's something they can do to help (somehow assist you in making this refurbished purchase with a non-US credit card).

Or...can you purchase from the refurbished section of the Apple Store from the country where you do have a credit card from? For example...the Canada, UK, and Australian Apple online stores all have refurbished sections.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pagemaker like softwear for my MacPro. | 10.8.5 update mess »