New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

files are missing!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

letsbhappy

letsbhappy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.3 IPhone 5S IPad

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and I am trying to transfer my files from my old Macbook using a WD My Passport for Mac portable drive. My old Macbook no longer works, but luckily I've backed up all my photos and files on this drive. I thought it would be simple to transfer all my files, but when I plug the drive into my new computer nothing happens. I can not locate my photos or files. Does anybody have experience with using this type of portable hard drive and how to transfer onto my new MacBook Pro? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

We will need a bit more information to give the best answer. How did you back up the files? Drag and drop? Time Machine?

Does the hard drive show up at all on the new machine?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
letsbhappy

letsbhappy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.3 IPhone 5S IPad

I backed up my old computer using an external hard drive After plugging in the external hard drive and clicking a few buttons, the hard drive backed up my files into specific categories automatically. The screen would show a bar graph with specific categories, photos, documents, etc and the percentage of space left for each categories My old computer was a macbook OSX 10.4, Tiger operating system. That computer did not have Time Machine or ICloud capabilities.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo storage consideration when buying new MBP | OWC SSD Firmware won't update »