HELP: new purchase needed but what ?
    Hi Guys, I’m brand new to the forums and would love some advice. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac...mbarrassed.png

The back ground: I’m an Art Teacher and I’ve spend the last 5 years working on videos, and building websites using the usual iweb, I Photo, and iMovie software. I was devastated when iweb was made obsolete. MY white 180gb MacBook is now full and the operating system hideously out-dated. So we need a new Mack book with all the usual soft wear.

Here’s the problem: Money is tight and I need Office + the abode creative suite. We get a good deal when we buy it with a new mac but the mac book pro is a little out of our price range. Could I use the new Mac book Air 256gb computer and link it up to a networked hard drive? Would the Air still have the processing power to run all the things I want and would an external (none cable- networked) hard drive make up for the lack of space?

What are the benefits of wireless external hard drives vs. networked routers with an external hard drive. And what set up do you have and do you have any recommendations regarding routers?

All testing stuff?
    Any Ideas any one?
    Paul

Yes, it will work with networked drives.
    For those purposes i would suggest a retina MacBook Pro with a little extra RAM

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Hello Paul...welcome to Mac-Forums.

If you don't mind my saying...you covered a lot of ground in your posting. Why don't we cover one thing at a time...and stick with what computer fits both your needs & budget.

But before we do that (because I'm a frugal guy)...why do you think that your old MacBook cannot still continue to get the job done? Depending on your reasons...we may or may not still be able to squeeze a bit more use out of it.

It would help if you told us exactly what model MacBook it is (cpu speed, amount of ram, OS version it is running).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Hopefully Paul is still monitoring our forums since his post was made last year in October.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    A couple of things:

1) First of all, I agree with Nick. We need more info. In particular your current workflow would help. How are you storing 5 years of video creation on a 180GB internal drive?
    2) Please drop the colored font and use black (much easier to read)
    3) Also would help to know your budget limits, and what you feel is lacking with your current setup
    4) List of programs and versions you are using (software)
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Hopefully Paul is still monitoring our forums since his post was made last year in October.
    LOL

I just woke up from a nap and am still sleepy, never noticed the original post date . . .
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    CRAP…I hate when that happens!!!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information