New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is an ibook g4 1.33 equivalent to a???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xanotos

xanotos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33gig/Power Mac G4 500mhz/ imac G3 600mhz

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out and can't find anywhere what my ibook G4 1.33ghz would be equivalent to a Pentium or AMD system. The reason I ask is to show my Windoze friends it's faster then what they have.

Thanks in advance,

David
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

G4's are not equivalent to any other processor but another G4.
There is no way to effectively or fairly compare it with anything else.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

Mac and OS X are about the experience not the raw processor speed. Walk them thru iLife to impress them rather than meaningless processor comparisaons.

M
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

A good comparison is hard. I wouldn't waste your time. Plus, the G4 isn't exactly the pinnacle of processing power, it has been around for awhile and it won't be long until it is phased out of Apple's product line-up.
QUOTE Thanks
radarbob

Some time ago one could argue that a Mac was *roughly* equal to a PC at about twice the megahertz. But a lot of things make a difference.

It has been my experience over the years that Macs have always been faster than same-MHz PCs running windows. I remember the difference between Windoze 2.0 on a 12MHz PC vs Macintosh w/ a 4MHz CPU - the Mac was easily several times faster; that was a visual observation. And if you count how often you had to reboot windoze 3.1 (or Windoze NT - what a POS!) the mac was about 10x faster in the course of a day! But that's just me.

I recall my 300MHz iBook was obviously faster doing OS things than my friend's 600Mhz PC laptop.

I recall reading an article a few years ago about how computer companies would send in their computers for benchmarking and put in their top end guts. That way slower CPU computers would test better than you would actually buy it! The author said he could make a "slower" computer faster than one with a "faster" CPU merely by using the right internal components.

I'd say now-a-days "you get what you pay for." I'd bet the iBook is about the same as a $1k PC laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
radarbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig.gentry
Mac and OS X are about the experience not the raw processor speed. Walk them thru iLife to impress them rather than meaningless processor comparisaons.
Mega-dittos, mig.gentry. The Way of Macintosh is superior to PC at any speed.
QUOTE Thanks
iknowjack

iknowjack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" ibook G4 1.2Ghz, 30 GB HDD, 1.25GB Ram, DVD/CDRW Combi Drive, Bluetooth & Airport Extreme inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanotos
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out and can't find anywhere what my ibook G4 1.33ghz would be equivalent to a Pentium or AMD system. The reason I ask is to show my Windoze friends it's faster then what they have.

Thanks in advance,

David
Hello

Well I currently use an ibook mostly when at home even tho' I have a AMD Athlon 2500+ Sempron with 768MB Ram Computer sitting next to me.

The ibook is usually connected to my external speakers, USB Keyboard & Wireless samsung mouse, and 17" Viewsonic Monitor.
So no need to even touch the iBook when all external peripherials are connected to it.

Personally speaking, and this is only my own opinion based on my experience. I prefer using my ibook over the computer because I find the experience much more pleasurable, applications run much more stable, smoother, without the usual windows hangs, freezes, reboots, viruses, etc

I have various software installed on my ibook, including Adobe Photoshop CS, AOL for Mac, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac, and various others..
Most of the time I have 5 or 6 ram hungry applications like this running at the same time and very rarely do i ever experience any slow performance or system freezes like I do when running half the applications on my windows box.

Everything seems to work fine and run smoothly and efficiently on my ibook, so the windows pc is just sitting their half the time, so I might even just sell it now.

To sum things up, I'd say my experience of using Mac over the last 9 months or so has been very impressive to say the least, and I'd find it very difficult to draw a comparison between Windows & Mac Computers.

For me its more about the quality of the experience, i.e.multiple apps running smoothly together with minimal (if any) slow performance issues, the ability to customize my desktop, icons, all this and more on only a 1.2Ghz Mac Computer!
I've never experience nothing like that before, I mean how powerfully & effortlessely everything just seems to work on a minimum specced 1.2Ghz apple computer.
I've used & built Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon/Sempron Computers with varying specs ranging from 1Ghz Processor machines right up to P4 and AMD Athlon 3200+ (with 1 gig of ram in most) running on fully patched & updated versions of windows xp with antivirus software.

The Mac OS X experience beats the pants off anything I've used to date.

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

As a recent switcher to the new iBook, I can answer this one

From what I've seen, the G4 iBook isn't even close in terms of speed to even a 1.5Ghz Windows XP laptop. I must admit in some applications it's faster, but the responsiveness of window resizing etc isn't comparible to Windows. It just isn't. They are slower machines, and coupled with the super slow hard drives, they aren't going to win any speed tests.

However, and this is a big however, that will have been stated many many times. The fact that OS X, on any hardware, is much much more pleasant to use than any other OS (I've used them all!) that speed just doesn't matter.

If you want to show them how much faster your new laptop is, good luck, you're going to need it. However, if you show them what it can do, and how nicely it can do it, then you'll be onto a winner.

One thing I thought was a great comparison was to take a bluetooth mobile phone, and sync it with both Windows and OS X. It's flawless with OS X and a complete nightmare to even get connected with XP Also, try plugging in USB or fireiwre devices and let them wait for the "new hardware wizard" It's stuff like that that makes OS X a dream to use
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacing a Disk before it fails | password »