New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Undiagnosed Macbook Pro Issues (freezing, kernel panics, alarm)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

annapiranha

annapiranha is on a distinguished road

My 2011 macbook pro has been giving me trouble for several months. It started having trouble going to sleep, having repeated kernel panics, freezing, 3 beep alarm sound more and more frequently. I took it in several times, and never got a solid answer about what was wrong. Replaced a supposedly faulty stick of RAM, which solved the problem for a while, but then had repeated issues of the same kind. Now it's working in spurts, occasionally freezing. Is it time for a new machine? What could this be? None of the hardware tests detect any problems. I'm at a loss.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

3 beeps is a ram problem if only one stick was replaced the other could have died even the replacement could be bad .
If you want to check this for yourself you can remove one stick and then try it if it works move the same stick to the other slot just to rule out a bad logic board or ram slot connection.
If under Apple Care I urge you to let Apple perform the fix.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also curious, where did you take it to? Apple store or independent retailer or non apple repair shop?
QUOTE Thanks
annapiranha

annapiranha is on a distinguished road

I took it to a non-apple retailer. Also, 2 days out of the box 2 yrs ago, it died and I had to replace the logic board (luckily it was still under warranty). Now it's not, so I'm hoping for something less serious.

If the RAM slot and not the stick is bad, is that an expensive fix?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Probably since it will require a logic board replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

the 2011 did have a known issue, which Apple is covering for longer than usual..

IMHO, It's worth taking in to an Apple store and have them look at it...

I saw elsewhere on this forum that they did a 3yr extension on certain of the 2011 Macbook Pro's, but this is just a guess......
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 - Need help in what needs replacing; battery or cord | Take your laptop out to dinner »