Dropped Macbook pro
    Hey guys. This is my first time posting here. I dropped my 2 1/2 year old MacBook Pro while it was on. On impact, the screen went a little wonky. There were pink lines streaming vertically and green and red lines streaming horizontally. I was able to see what I had been previously working on behind these "moving" lines but the keyboard would not work. I heard two short mechanical sounding noises and was concerned I damaged the hard drive. After a few tries I powered off the computer then powered up and everything is back to normal. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? I've backed everything up but am concerned about the drop. Thank you.

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Others will comment I am sure, but you did the right thing backing up. Those noises might have been the hard drive. I had an iMac get knocked over on the table and heard noises from the drive. Within days it started to pause. There was damage on one of the platters where the head hit the platter from the impact. If it keeps working fine, keep backing up and watch for any signs like slowdown and long pauses.

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Assuming (as you mentioned) that everything is ok at the best guess is...when it was dropped...maybe a video cable got slightly loose for a moment (caused the colored lines)...then somehow the cable righted itself...and everything is now good.

But honestly this is just a guess/theory. This is really a "crystal ball" situation...and with "crystal balls"... they have been known to be wrong.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thank you both!

Thread Information