New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro manual disk eject?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deshoebox

deshoebox is on a distinguished road

Can't get disk to eject from Macbook Pro. None of the things I've read have worked. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

What have you tried so far?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Boot and hold down mouse key/keypad button. Install 'Eject' icon on Menu Bar. Sure the optical drive is okay?

http://macs.about.com/od/macoperatin...jectcdmenu.htm

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also usually can press and hold F12 to eject. Might need to press fn key too depending on keyboard.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshoebox View Post
None of the things I've read have worked.
It DEFINITELY helps if you tell us what you tried.

You've gotten some great suggestions already from other members...so you should be in great shape.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
deshoebox

F12 did nothing. The "Eject" button did nothing. Restarting while holding the mouse button did nothing. Restarting while holding down Command-Option-O-F did nothing. Restarting while sliding in a folded piece of thin cardboard did nothing. Going to Disk Utilities and trying to eject from there did nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
deshoebox

Sorry...here's what I've tried and what it accomplished: F12 did nothing. The "Eject" button did nothing. Restarting while holding the mouse button did nothing. Restarting while holding down Command-Option-O-F did nothing. Restarting while sliding in a folded piece of thin cardboard did nothing. Going to Disk Utilities and trying to eject from there did nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshoebox View Post
Sorry...here's what I've tried and what it accomplished: F12 did nothing. The "Eject" button did nothing. Restarting while holding the mouse button did nothing. Restarting while holding down Command-Option-O-F did nothing. Restarting while sliding in a folded piece of thin cardboard did nothing. Going to Disk Utilities and trying to eject from there did nothing.
Some keyboard layouts are different. On some keyboards....the optical drive eject key may be F12...on my MacBook Pro it isn't. What you want to look for is the key with the underlined solid triangle icon on it (it's usually the upper-right most key on the keyboard).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
deshoebox

Thanks, yes. Mine has the same thing...that's what I was calling the "Eject" button. It's just to the right of F12.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like a failed slot loading optical drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

reboot and hold "C"...

it'll try to boot from the drive, then will spit it out if unsuccessful....
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If holding down the mouse or trackpad button while starting up didn't at least TRY to eject the drive, then the drive is dead.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD. Which choices and how to implement? | .flac files on Itunes ??? »