New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air Storage Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimnewkirk53

jimnewkirk53 is on a distinguished road

My 60Gb HD appears to be full, but I don't know why. Apps 8.7Gb; Lib 5.7Gb; Sys 6Gb and Users 37Gb - ok, seems right.

But, when I GetInfo on each folder inside my Users folder the total is around *2Gb*, which makes sense - I save nothing on my HD (all on Dropbox) and manage Dropbox at Advanced Preferences to ensure a minimum of HD usage.

I cannot understand why I have an 'invisible' 35Gb stored on my HD, in Users. Do I not understand my Users folder, or is something else going on?

I am completely lost now on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Grab one of the apps in the following thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...-7-10-8-a.html

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jimnewkirk53

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
jimnewkirk53

So, in the Library/Application/iLifeAssetManagement/Assets/sub there is 23.6Gb of ???. Hundreds of photos, each in their own folder. Can you just advise from where to delete, i.e. can I delete the Assets folder? Or the sub folder?

You're my hero!
QUOTE Thanks
jimnewkirk53

It's ok. I sorted it.

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Curious - What were they - all your pics or junk that iLife installs?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jimnewkirk53

My photos. I've never really liked how iPhoto 'stores' the jpegs, but that is another story I guess. But awhile back, when trying to get rid of these files - to only have my photos on my desktop - I did not do it correctly I guess. And this was coupled with me thinking, I think incorrectly now, that the space problem I was having was to do with my dropbox 'mirroring' to my HD. And I was chasing the wrong issue. Coupled with the fact that Finder and GetInfo do not tell the whole story (THANKS!!). Soon as I found the actual issue I was able to delete 25Gb of photo files I don't want or need on the laptop.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Eliminate ®Others® | PoweeBook G4 vertical lines »