New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Buying new MBP. Several questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sophie-sticated

Sophie-sticated is on a distinguished road

Hello and thanks for reading this.
We currently have at home a 2007 15” MBP, 2007 iMac, 2010 15” MBP and several iPod touches 4 gen.
The high speed Internet provider is Comcast.
We have a modem from Comcast and a 2007 Airport Extreme is our router.
As a backup system I do an at least a daily clone+ separated partition for data (CCC) to 2 1TB Mercury Elite Pro Classics with FireWire 800 (alternating, every other day backup to the same HD) (hope I explained it clearly).

I am planning to replace my 2007 MBP with a new 15” rMBP and was wondering what I can/need to do for:
a- Taking advantage of the new MBP and its features, regarding peripherals and so.
b- Solve some old/bothering issues/questions.

I use Chrome and when I open a new page/renew an older one, the wheel at the top of the tab spins for a while until it “starts”. (Internet a bit slow) (router?)
From my front yard (about 45’-55’ from the router) I don’t have any reception, no internet, while I see several of my neighbor’s networks (including some pretty far from me) on the WiFi.
Do I need to replace the router/add some additional equipment? Where do I start?

I back up to 2- 1TB HD’s with FireWire. Is there a way for me to do the backups wirelessly from all my computers somehow to the 2 hard disks?/Can it be done if I change/add something to my network?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ted
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

I'd look into the new Time Capsule. Not sure it will have a better network radius, but it will be faster and includes your router as well as your backups - available in 2TB and 3TB flavors.

I currently have 3 TB HD connected to our central iMac and access it over the network (AP Extreme) with the other computers. Each computer has a separate dedicated backup disk.
QUOTE Thanks
Sophie-sticated

Sophie-sticated is on a distinguished road

Hello MacShane.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate that!
I looked into it and the 3 TB AirPort Time Capsule will solve my wireless backing up "wishes" and as I read in the user reviews, will also improve the range.

As I understood I can even connect my daisy chained 2 HDs and keep doing my CCC clones, this time wirelessly.
Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my post.
Ted
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Glad to help.
Previous Time Capsule models got a bad rap (reliability issues), but the new ones are getting better reviews.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Building my own website | Macbook Pro screen goes black after apple logo screen »