New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro pink lines everywhere

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cyanides

cyanides is on a distinguished road

Hello there, recently (as in yesterday) my macbook pro 17 inch began having pink lines running vertically all over the screen, primarily when i open windows such as finder windows and the internet browser. I cannot figure out what the problem is, they are very annoying.

I have, for one, figured out that when I press on the bottom left side of the lap top the lines go away. But, when I release the pressure they come back. I think there might be a loose cable or loose graphics cable problem, I would like to fix it myself if possible but not sure that I can.

Can anyone help me out and maybe explain what the problem might be?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanides View Post
I have, for one, figured out that when I press on the bottom left side of the lap top the lines go away. But, when I release the pressure they come back. I think there might be a loose cable or loose graphics cable problem, I would like to fix it myself if possible but not sure that I can.

Can anyone help me out and maybe explain what the problem might be?
If you suspect that there is a problem inside the computer (due to the pressure you apply)...the first thing you need to do is open it up...and see if there is anything obviously wrong (loose or disconnected cables, frayed or broken cables, loose screws, components not mounted properly or securely, etc.).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cyanides

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you suspect that there is a problem inside the computer (due to the pressure you apply)...the first thing you need to do is open it up...and see if there is anything obviously wrong (loose or disconnected cables, frayed or broken cables, loose screws, components not mounted properly or securely, etc.).

- Nick
I have opened the back, and from as far as I could tell everything is in place properly. I didn't see any loose or disconnected cables, at least not on the surface.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two possibilities that initially come to mind:

1. Sometimes the cabling going from the logic board thru the hinge area to the display can get worn over time (or get pinched) via the MANY times when the display is opened & closed. So the cable could be bad without being visible.

2. The graphics hardware on the logic board is failing (or has failed). Which wouldn't be very good.

One way to further test things is...connect an external monitor to your MacBook Pro...and see if the pink lines show up on the external monitor. If they don't...then there's a strong possibility that it's just the cable.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
cyanides

Quote:

- Nick
Quote:
There are two possibilities that initially come to mind:

1. Sometimes the cabling going from the logic board thru the hinge area to the display can get worn over time (or get pinched) via the MANY times when the display is opened & closed. So the cable could be bad without being visible.

2. The graphics hardware on the logic board is failing (or has failed). Which wouldn't be very good.

One way to further test things is...connect an external monitor to your MacBook Pro...and see if the pink lines show up on the external monitor. If they don't...then there's a strong possibility that it's just the cable.

- Nick
Ok, I don't currently have the proper cords necessary to connect it to an external monitor. Would you suggest purchasing them? Or trying to take my computer to an apple store? The nearest store to me is about 3 hours away, unfortunately.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok, I don't currently have the proper cords necessary to connect it to an external monitor. Would you suggest purchasing them?
How would you suggest doing the testing if you do not already have the cabling?

Quote:
Or trying to take my computer to an apple store?The nearest store to me is about 3 hours away, unfortunately.
- Firstly (depending on how old this 17" MacBook Pro is)...Apple may not even want to work on it if it's really old.
- Secondly (depending on how old this 17" MacBook Pro is)...if Apple would agree to work on it...it may cost you a significant amount of it's current value to get repaired.
- Thirdly. If you're capable of replacing the video cable (the cable inside the computer)...why not. The video cable probably costs less than $50.
- Forth. If your closest Apple Store is about 3 hours away. It would probably cost you more in gas to drive there & back...than to purchase the external monitor cables you need.

Bottom line...taking it to the Apple Store would not be my recommendation. You need to connect your MacBook Pro to an external monitor to see if the pink lines persist. If you don't have the cabling to do this...then you need to get the cables to test things further.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
cyanides

Ok, thanks, I'll have to head out later tonight and pick up the cables I need. I'll post an update later tonight or tomorrow.

Again, Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Awesome. Fingers crossed that the pink lines do not show up on the external monitor!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
cyanides

I went out and bought a mini-DVI to DVI adapter for my macbook and a DVI to VGA adapter for the TV hook up, however, the mac adapter doesn't fit onto the DVI adapter for the TV and there is no slot on my macbook for the DVI adapter to go, it's too large. I don't know what cables to buy, I thought those were the correct ones.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Have a look at the first item. Is this what you purchased as it must be a mini adapter. Surprised the Apple Store could not afdvise correct adapter:-

Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter MacBook | eBay

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cyanides

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Have a look at the first item. Is this what you purchased as it must be a mini adapter. Surprised the Apple Store could not afdvise correct adapter:-

It's called a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter, but it won't fit in any slot on my macbook, I don't know why, I think it's a mini adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I went out and bought a mini-DVI to DVI adapter for my macbook and a DVI to VGA adapter for the TV hook up, however, the mac adapter doesn't fit onto the DVI adapter for the TV and there is no slot on my macbook for the DVI adapter to go, it's too large. I don't know what cables to buy, I thought those were the correct ones.
You probably should have asked this question earlier...BEFORE you went out to purchase things. You seemed to know what you were doing...that's why I didn't ask.

You need to tell us what model 17" MacBook Pro you have (so we can figure out what video adapter you need)...and tell us what video in ports your TV has.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
cyanides

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post

Quote:
You probably should have asked this question earlier...BEFORE you went out to purchase things. You seemed to know what you were doing...that's why I didn't ask.

You need to tell us what model 17" MacBook Pro you have (so we can figure out what video adapter you need)...and tell us what video in ports your TV has.

- Nick
Yea, your right, I googled the cords and cables that I needed so I thought I had the right ones.

I believe it's a 17" Macbook Pro from Mid 2009. 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Here's your connections:

CONNECTIONS

Wi-Fi Built-in AirPort Extreme card (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ethernet 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45) (support for jumbo frames)
Modem Optional Apple USB Modem (MA034Z/A)
USB 3 - 480 MBit/s
FireWire 1 - 800 MBit/s
Display 1 - Mini DisplayPort (VGA, DVI, or dual-link DVI with adapter)
Infrared 1 - For Apple Remote only
Audio In 1 - 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack, 1 - Built-in microphone
Audio Out 1 - 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack, 2 - Built-in speakers
Security Slot 1 - Kensington cable lock

As you can see, you have a Mini DisplayPort video output.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yep, the MiniDisplayPort on my (13") MBP from the same year is between the Firewire 800 port and the first USB port. HTH.

Going back to your problem for a moment -- do you have a tendency to carry around this computer holding it with one hand (... your left hand, perhaps)?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External monitor for MacbookAir | How to connect two thunderbolt devices to Macbook Air? »