New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro retina wakes to black or grey screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDuck

MacDuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: rMBP 15"

Hi all, my 9 month old rMBP has started to wake from sleep to a black or grey screen and I have to force close the system and restart to get a usable desktop back.
It started about a week ago when it woke to a grey screen (like the background when you re-install the system). That happened a few times but in the last day or so it has started to resume to a black screen.
This only happens after it's been asleep for a few hours. If it only sleeps for half an hour it's fine.

I think I'll try a re-install and see if that cures it.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

15" MacBook Pro retina 10,1
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Well I re-installed ML and it cured things for a few days.
Sadly now it's worse!
It now doesn't wake at all. It's absolutely dead when I try to wake it up from a sleep of a few hours.
No sign of life at all, no keyboard light, no screen backlight.
If I press and release the power button nothing happens at all.
All I can do is do a hard shutdown and then boot from cold - which works fine.

I phoned Applecare who told me to reset SMC and PRAM (I think it was) and they opened a case number in case that doesn't solve the issue.

Should I be looking at anything else?
Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If resetting the SMC and PRAM does not resolve the problem, it's probably time to make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Ok I'll do that after keeping an eye on things for a day or two.
Thanks chscag.

QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Well it seems the problem is solved but in an unexpected way.

I have uninstalled rEFInd and my problems have gone away!
I have OSX, Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13-04 (both EFI booting) so I installed rEFInd boot manager to get those pretty little icons at startup (and to get rid of one of the screens shown by EFI Boot in the Alt+boot screen).
When refind is installed I get the problem. When refind is uninstalled the waking from sleep problem disappears.

I have conversed with the maintainer of refind and he informs me that a small number of people have already reported this problem to him. It seems that it can happen with later Mac's.
I'm hoping a fix can be worked out as I quite like refind and would like to start using it again.
Anyway, for the moment refind is uninstalled and things are fine.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting back. Instead of using rEFInd, why don't you try rEFIt instead? It's bug free as far as I know and it's also freeware. And yes, it gives you those pretty icons on startup!

Download LINK
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Thanks chscag.
I thought about refit (and indeed may give it a try) however, refind is a modern fork of refit and refit hasn't been maintained for a number of years now.

QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

chscag, I've installed refit and no grey/black screen on wakeup so far :-)

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, great. I've been using rEFIt for years (I know development has stopped) and it just works. It's easy to install and remove. It was a bit hard at first to get its configuration file going the way I like but after a lot of experimenting and reboots, I was successful.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OK, great. I've been using rEFIt for years (I know development has stopped) and it just works. It's easy to install and remove. It was a bit hard at first to get its configuration file going the way I like but after a lot of experimenting and reboots, I was successful.
Yeah, I haven't actually configured it yet, it's sort of running as it came
I would like to get rid of some of its menu entries though if you have any suggestions. The refit config page seems a bit fuzzy
Thanks again.

EDIT
actually chscag disregard the above :-)
In order to update to Windows 8.1 I've had to resort to a Bootcamp partition due to graphics driver problems.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting to a projector | Downloaded fonts from one macbook to another all I see is AAAAA.... »