Specs:
    MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
    Problems with the cable from my power supply
    The cable from my power supply to my pc is falling apart. Not the cord that goes to the wall plug inn. The other. The outer coating has just came off. It is completely gone in parts. Still seems to work ok but looks bad. I see a lot of them for sell on ebay A1334 85W model so it must be a common problem. Has this happened to you? What did you do to resolve it? I see there are some listed on ebay around $20. I'm assuming these are not Apple approved. Anyone try using these?

Thanks

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    I've never seen the outer coating of a cable simply peel away without being put under repeated duress (being wound too tightly, knotted, pinched, trapped, twisted etc). I've got a 5 year supply that's just fine.

But wear and tear does occur of course.

If it's just the coating and the internal wiring is undamaged then some electrical insulating tape will safely repair the break. If, however any of the wiring is frayed or damaged in any way I'd stop using it and seek a replacement or repair
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    I guess I always looked at power supplies on laptops and phones as consumable items - like wiper blades, or tires, or shoe laces... Some folks get years out of them, others seem to chew through them much faster. As long as you don't see the copper inside the wire, you are probably fine. That said, I personally would replace the charger with an OEM charger if the laptop was still under warranty to be safe. If the warranty is gone, then I'd buy a cheaper refurbished or bulk packaged OEM charger from OWC. My last choice would be some 3rd party adapter off the internet - again, that's just me talking.
    If you are in Illinois, OWC is in the same State as you and you could probably have your charger delivered in 2 days max.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    I guess I always looked at power supplies on laptops and phones as consumable items - like wiper blades, or tires, or shoe laces... Some folks get years out of them, others seem to chew through them much faster. As long as you don't see the copper inside the wire, you are probably fine. That said, I personally would replace the charger with an OEM charger if the laptop was still under warranty to be safe. If the warranty is gone, then I'd buy a cheaper refurbished or bulk packaged OEM charger from OWC. My last choice would be some 3rd party adapter off the internet - again, that's just me talking.
    If you are in Illinois, OWC is in the same State as you and you could probably have your charger delivered in 2 days max.
    Never thought of OWC. Looked it up they are $59. Going on a 3 week vacation next week think I will wait till I get back to order.

Maybe I just got a bad one. Don't know of anything I take better care of than my MBP.

there was a company that made a device to prevent this failure -- - if you're using the older Magsafe...

Just found it - macmagsaver.com Don't know if this is any help or not--but I thought this was brilliant when I saw it.

i think this is a very common point of failure, even on the "L" shaped Magsafes as well... i've had several fail.

I would very much recommend NOT wrapping your cord tightly on the charger block--that's a major cause of stress for them. As is the stress caused if you pull it loose by the wire...

Thread Information