New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

itunes program on external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frapeezee

frapeezee is on a distinguished road

Can someone tell me how to download iTunes to an external drive? I record all of my music in wav format for the sonics so I fill my MacBook Air, iPods & iPhone up quickly. Because of that, I move my music around to free up space. The problem is that it's not formatted in iTunes so when I move it over to my Passport For Mac is doesn't save the artist names, album titles or song sequences. I have to enter them every time I move music back onto my laptop or iPhone. It's time consuming & a pain.
So...I'd like to just copy my iTunes program & library to the Passport but the Mac will not allow me to do it.
Can anyone help?
THANK U!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The iTunes PROGRAM should not be moved from the Application folder. The iTunes LIBRARY (where all the actual music and data you're talking about) can easily be moved to an external drive:

How to move an iTunes library to an external drive | How To - CNET
QUOTE Thanks
frapeezee

frapeezee is on a distinguished road

Thx, Chas. Is there a way to copy iTunes on the external drive w/o losing it on my MacBook Air? I've moved a ton of music & vid to the x-drive but since I don't have iTunes on that drive it doesn't save the music in the proper format. I have to search for each track that I knew was an a particular album then re-input the info.

Thx again. Lemme know if u have any suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Retina? Problems? | Doubt about 2 keys on japanese layout macbook pro keyboard »