New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro (unibody alum. 2009) RAM issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thehungrymusic

thehungrymusic is on a distinguished road

So I ordered 8GB of RAM for my macbook pro and installed it and got the three beeps that you get with faulty ram. Then I tried with one of the old 1GB ram chips and one of the new ones and it worked fine. Every arrangement (slots or ram sticks) works fine regardless of which stick or which slot as long as I have one of the old 1GB RAM sticks. Any ideas? I know this one's capable of running 8GB so I would really like to be able to.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

According to Mactracker, your 2009 MBP can take:

8.0 GB
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

I'm assuming you ordered 2 x 4 GB modules? And where did you order them from? We usually advise our members to order either from OWC or Crucial.

It sounds like you may have received mismatched modules which may be why they won't work together in your machine but will work with a 1 GB module in the other slot.

When you do that, what amount of memory does your machine show? It probably shows up as 4 GB rather than 5 GB?
QUOTE Thanks
thehungrymusic

thehungrymusic is on a distinguished road

No, it shows 5. It's SODIMM DDR3 1333mhz ram. yeah, 2x4. It's Kingston brand. Really good reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You realize that you're using faster ram than your machine's memory bus is designed for? I would send both those modules back and get the correct memory. Macs are extremely fussy about using the exact memory it was designed for. That may be the reason you're having difficulty. Since it's showing up as 5 GB, the modules are OK but the incorrect speed may be what's causing the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wiping MacBook Pro Clean | Mackbook pro mouse not clicking? »