Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Sep 23, 2013
    Question Upgrade current MacBook or Buy New?
    Hey guys, I currently have a 13-inch MacBook Pro (mid 2009) with the 2.26GHz Core2Duo, 160GB HD. I've maxed the RAM @ 8GB and was considering a 240GB SSD upgrade with the data doubler from OWC which would be about $250.

    My question is, would I be better off in the long run just selling my current rig and buying a new Pro or Air instead of putting more money into this one?

    I mainly use it for general computing and music production.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    19birel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2011
    Late 2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5 16gb RAM, Early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-Core Xeon 6gb RAM OSX 10.9.x
    If you feel like the computer is still having trouble handling your music software etc. after the 8gb RAM upgrade, I'd do one of two things.

    Sell it and buy a new Pro- get a non retina model so you can upgrade RAM etc.

    Or Sell it and buy used, go on CL or something and find a newer model, something like mid-late 2011 refresh MBP, and save some money while still having a good computer

  3. #3

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    If you got the readies, by all means buy a new one and sell the 2009 model. You may save a few hundred checking out Apple refurbished models. Come with current operating system and full twelve month warranty, and you can also purchase AppleCare if you wish to extend the warranty to three years.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  4. #4

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    If you decide to buy new, I would wait for awhile until Apple refreshes the Air models or the MacBook Pro models. The MacBook Pro refresh will have the newer Haswell chipset along with the Intel HD 5000 GPU. And personally, I would not buy a retina machine for the reason already given.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade RAM + HD or buy new MacBook
    By Rev Rich in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 05:12 PM
  2. Should I sell my current mbp and buy the new one coming out?
    By DylanTheVillain in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
  3. Upgrade current Macbook or buy a new one?
    By eepst42@yahoo.c in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM
  4. Not sure what to do... Upgrade my macbook or buy MBP
    By Ryanharp333 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
  5. Cracked screen. Should I buy a new MB or fix current one?
    By gracechristine in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts