New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

USB stopped working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Koffielepel

Koffielepel is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I have a macbook pro and one of my USB ports stopped working. If I connect my iPod, it only charges but it doesn't recognize the device. If I connect the same iPod to the other port, it works, it charges and I can transfer files. What I find strange is the fact that the port isn't completely dead because it charges me iPod so I wonder how I can fix it?

I tried to following solutions:
  • Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
  • Reset PRAM

Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffielepel View Post
I have a macbook pro and one of my USB ports stopped working. If I connect my iPod, it only charges but it doesn't recognize the device. If I connect the same iPod to the other port, it works, it charges and I can transfer files. What I find strange is the fact that the port isn't completely dead because it charges me iPod so I wonder how I can fix it?

I tried to following solutions:
  • Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
  • Reset PRAM

Can anyone help?
If the port itself really is defective, you can't fix it. A service center may be able to if it's simply a matter of re-soldering a connection. You can check to see if there is dirt or something in the port that is keeping the cable from making a proper connection. Power your MacBook down; remove the battery; then try spraying some compressed air into the port. If that doesn't fix it, try a Q-Tip with rubbing alcohol on it.
How to clean dirt out of USB ports? - Crowdsourcing Questions & Answers

You should also try a different cable, just to completely rule that out as being the problem, even if it is working in one of the ports. We had another member recently who had a similar problem.... the cable was charging his iPhone but that's it. He couldn't get iTunes to recognize it. A new cable solved the problem. There may be a kink in it that is causing the problem while in one port, but when you switched it to another port, you may have "unkinked" it due to the angle it's at.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Koffielepel

Koffielepel is on a distinguished road

To confirm: I just connected my mouse to the usb port. The mouse get's powers but doesn't work. How is that possible, a usb port only gives power but doesn't connect?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Because different pins in the port and different paths on the system board are used to supply power vs the transfer of data.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffielepel View Post
To confirm: I just connected my mouse to the usb port. The mouse get's powers but doesn't work. How is that possible, a usb port only gives power but doesn't connect?
Bob's explanation is on the money. I think that pretty much confirms that the port is faulty (or dirty), so I wouldn't bother with trying a different iPhone cable. You can try cleaning it as described before. Barring that, it needs service. If it's still under warranty, then get up with Apple. If it's not under warranty, then you obviously are looking at a repair bill. Worst case scenario, they'll have to replace the logic board, and that's not cheap. It may be cheaper to have it repaired, but that's not exactly cheap either. Here's one service that does repairs:
iMac, Macbook Pro and Macbook Logic Board Repair

You can do a search for others:
https://startpage.com/do/metasearch....board%20repair

Now this is interesting. A class action lawsuit was filed last year regarding the very problem you are having. Keep an eye on this:
Class Action Filed Against Apple for Defective MacBook Logic Boards - Patently Apple

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro will not charge or connect, need serious technical help! | on the road internet access »