New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

HELP! Slowing down!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman is on a distinguished road

My MacBook Pro Retina, now just five months old, is slowing dow considerably! It staggers to open Yahoo Mail and other pages, the blue bar at the top creeping along where when hew it took milliseconds! I also get the spinning,coloured disc when processing pictures whch again it never did when new!

What could be causing this slowdown please and what's the best way to speed it up again?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
My MacBook Pro Retina, now just five months old, is slowing dow considerably! It staggers to open Yahoo Mail and other pages, the blue bar at the top creeping along where when hew it took milliseconds! I also get the spinning,coloured disc when processing pictures whch again it never did when new!

What could be causing this slowdown please and what's the best way to speed it up again?
Start with the basics. Download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tool. See if that helps. You may have a corrupted cache.

Let us know how much drive space you have used and how much is free. Also tell us if you have any 3rd party software that is running in the background, especially antivirus tools, and any extensions/plug-ins for Safari (or whatever browser you are using). Make sure Flash and Java are fully up to date, if they are installed.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

Thanks for that lifesabeach but seem to be having problems with that download? I click on the "download" button, the little flying thing goes into my download folder but then nothing? Checking downloads in Finder there is nothing downloaded???
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Thanks for that lifesabeach but seem to be having problems with that download? I click on the "download" button, the little flying thing goes into my download folder but then nothing? Checking downloads in Finder there is nothing downloaded???
Really need to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post

Let us know how much drive space you have used and how much is free. Also tell us if you have any 3rd party software that is running in the background, especially antivirus tools, and any extensions/plug-ins for Safari (or whatever browser you are using). Make sure Flash and Java are fully up to date, if they are installed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

I have 195Gb of free disc space and as far as I know am not running any anti virus or 3rd party software in the background. I am using Safari as my browser.

I have got Onyx up and running, backed up the Mac, performed the initial verification with Onyx and just about to start the maintenance etc.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happens!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

To verify any background running apps launching at startup:

Open System Preferences - Users and accounts - Login Items

Why we ask for the amount of used and free space...
If that free space is on anything smaller than a 1TB drive - you are probably ok.
If that is a 1 TB drive or larger - then you could very well be seeing an issue of not enough free space (in particular, contiguous free space).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

OK. Have run the various OnyX programs and the computer is "fast"! Thank you guys very much for your help. I'll keep the OnyX onboard for future use.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hi All experienced Onyx users - I just DL the app and first had the same problem installing & opening the program, after finally getting the app installed and going through checking my HD, I had a long list of descriptions - where does one go from there in checking out one's computer? Probably simple but there is not a clear menu of options - would appreciate some advice before doing 'too much' - thanks - Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Start with the basics. Download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tool. See if that helps. You may have a corrupted cache.
Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Here is a tutorial:-

Onyx Mac – Instant Download Onyx for Mac OS X Blog Archive How to use OnyX for Mac

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Thanks Harry - about to take a look @ the link - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

Onyx downloaded and run and it made a considerable difference to my Mac. Many thanks for all the help and advice!

I also find the different names for the operating systems! Mine is 10.8.4 according to "about this Mac". What is that from the list please and why do they use two different names for the same thing?

Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and even the newest: OnyX Lion.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Onyx downloaded and run and it made a considerable difference to my Mac. Many thanks for all the help and advice!

I also find the different names for the operating systems! Mine is 10.8.4 according to "about this Mac". What is that from the list please and why do they use two different names for the same thing?

There is no "Onyx Lion". Onyx is the piece of software we recommended for using in OS X. Here's the Wikipedia section explaining the OS version numbers and their "code names" (those "cats"):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X#Versions

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:

Cheers
Hi Caveman - LOL! Maybe you're kidding - not sure? But the recent versions of Mac OS X have been named after 'CATS' - the latest, i.e. 10.8.x (I have 10.8.5 on our Mac computers) is 'Mountain Lion' - WELL, Apple seems to have run out of cats (although Saber Tooth would have been my decision for the next one) - for a change of pace, the next update which I assume will be 10.9.x will be called 'Mavericks', so are we going to horses? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

So my system is also Mountain Lion (10.8.4) and no, I wasn't joking. I just wondered why Apple have to have two names for the same thing! My computer tells me that I have OSX 10.8.4 so why do I then need to "translate" this into Mountain Lion when the subject comes up? I run a Saab 9.5 Estate - it isn't also called a Mad Mare or whatever. Anybody who says a 9.5 Estate, everybody knows what they are talking about. Oh well, too much ramble!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slowly failing(?) mac, some help with diagnosing the issue. | Prep Macbook to go without reinstall »