New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

for college, Biz major... any use for 16G?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DunnInLA

DunnInLA is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying my daughter a used MP Pro, with Quad Core i7 as a basic start. Had a great mc721 arrive on Monday, but the iSight isn't working, (separate thread here) so it's going back to the seller and I'm starting over again. Probably will get the same early 2011 mc721 at 2Ghz Quad i7.

Regarding Memory:
, is a business major college kid going to need 16G memory? Or is that wasted investment? I had the idea that is only useful for movie editing.

Regarding the Hard Drive
, is a normal college kid studying business going to need a flash drive upgrade vs. the SATA? Currently using only 180G of her 320G 5400 rpm Drive, on her mid-2009 mb pro MB985. I can't imagine how she'd need more than 320G, but you guys tell me what you think.

Thanks for your opinions. Her mid 2009 mb pro M985 w. C2D 2.66 seems to serve her just fine, but I'm wanting to get her this upgrade in main and graphics processors now that will last her through the four years of college... and those Quad i7 (or is it the Graphics processors?) seem really fast just from how fast web pages hit the screen on the on the early 2011 mc721 I need to return.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnInLA View Post
Regarding Memory:
, is a business major college kid going to need 16G memory? Or is that wasted investment? I had the idea that is only useful for movie editing.
I "get by" with 4gig no problem. But 8gig is probably a good amount to have. 16gig would probably be over doing it in this situation.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air 2013 Battery Compatibility? | MacBook A1181 Display issue »