New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air 2013 Battery Compatibility?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac1994

Mac1994 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I have a mid-2011 macbook air that requires a battery replacement (it says service battery and its capacity has reduced to about 70%).

Now, its startled me that the new 2013 macbook air, which has a 7150mAh capacity battery is not compatible with the mid-2011 model according to ifixit.com.

I'm just finding it a bit difficult to understand why that may be the case, the capacity of my battery when it was new was 6700mAh and I thought that I would be able to replace it with the 2013 battery which is exactly the same physical size and shape..

What do you guys think? Am I missing something here? Could it be something to do with the CPU current?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1994 View Post
I have a mid-2011 macbook air that requires a battery replacement (it says service battery and its capacity has reduced to about 70%).
My first thought is...do you really need a new battery at this point? Original battery runtime on a full charge was approx. 7 hours.

If your MBA's battery is currently at 70%...that means that you should still be getting around 5 hours of runtime on a single charge (with average computer tasks).

Can you tell us how many cycles are on your battery?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
My first thought is...do you really need a new battery at this point? Original battery runtime on a full charge was approx. 7 hours.

If your MBA's battery is currently at 70%...that means that you should still be getting around 5 hours of runtime on a single charge (with average computer tasks).

Can you tell us how many cycles are on your battery?

- Nick

Hi Nick!

I just checked Coconut battery again and it says: 62%, 4129mAh. That means its deteriorated since I last checked about 2 weeks ago. It also says 'service battery' in the power tab at the top.

The Battery has gone through 626 cycles over 2 years.

So any idea why the 2013 macbook air battery may not be compatible with the 2011 one? Or is it and the ifixit website has got it wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
So any idea why the 2013 macbook air battery may not be compatible with the 2011 one? Or is it and the ifixit website has got it wrong?
It's very likely the charging circuitry that's currently utilized in your MacBook Air can't handle the current requirements of the newer longer life battery.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It's very likely the charging circuitry that's currently utilized in your MacBook Air can't handle the current requirements of the newer longer life battery.
Hi, I've done a little bit more research and it turns out that the new 2013 higher capacity battery has a 7.6V voltage compared to the 2011 7.3V. A small difference of 0.3V is unlikely to cause problems unless the voltage converter can't handle it. Thanks for the help anyway
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1994 View Post
A small difference of 0.3V is unlikely to cause problems unless the voltage converter can't handle it. Thanks for the help anyway
Get the 2013 battery...and see what happens! If it works...then you can be one of the first folks to have tried it (as an upgrade)...and you can share your success with the works!

Sometimes someone has to be first!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
A small difference of 0.3V is unlikely to cause problems unless the voltage converter can't handle it.
You're correct regarding the voltage difference but that's not the only thing that matters. It's the amount of charging current provided which really matters and if your MagSafe can handle it. But like Nick said... give it a try and let us know what happens. If you experience overheating you can always go back to the original battery requirement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MC721: built in "camera not connected" | for college, Biz major... any use for 16G? »