New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Crucifictionxx

Crucifictionxx is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone im new to this community! I was recently given a macbook pro i turned it on when it goes to boot its a white screen with a folder with a question mark. I researched and i got a mac osx disc tried to boot from that but it goes to a white screen with the apple logo and it just stays there. He has important files to get off the computer and i have no clue what to do?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you got another mac

Was the install disc you got for that mac a grey restore disc or was it a retail copy (has a picture of a cat on it)?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

it was a install disc he didnt have any other discs with it is there anything else i can do?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Go to Apple Online and purchase a copy of Snow Leopard OS X.6 for $20. Sounds like you got a silver/gray system disc which will only work with the machine it was sold with when new.

http://store.apple.com/us/search/OS-x.6#!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

if i get the restore disc will it erase the files on the computer.?
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

harryb2448 if i buy the disc from apple wont the disc erase all the files on the pc?
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucifictionxx View Post
harryb2448 if i buy the disc from apple wont the disc erase all the files on the pc?
There's a very good chance the hard drive has failed. If you buy the 10.6.3 retail disk, boot from it, accept the default English, the access the utilities menu, then disk utility. Check to see if disk utility sees the hard drive, if it does click on it and select repair disk. If it doesn't, and the data on the hard drive is important to its owner, you have a serious problem. Earlier you were asked if you had a Mac, do you, and if so what type?

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

Macbook Pro 2010 Hardrive 500GB 5400 OSX 10.6
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light

With your MacBook Pro you can try accessing the hard drive of the MacBook you were given via target firewire mode. Link the two MacBook Pro's with a firewire 800 cable. If you don't have one they can be bought cheaply on eBay. Power on your MacBook Pro. Power on the faulty MacBook Pro while holding down the character T. If the suspect hard drive is accessible it will mount on your MacBook Pro. Run disk utility on your MacBook Pro to see if it see's the hard drive in the faulty MBP.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

i dont have a macbook i have a pc.....im trying to fix this macbook sorry lol
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

Unless you invest some cash I doubt you'll get far. If I was looking at this MBP I would boot from an external drive containing an OS at least equal to the OS it shipped with and check to see if the hard drive could be seen in disk utility. The drive should be big enough to hold the OS, diagnostics and whatever data is on the drive. If yes, I would run disk warrior on the hard drive. If disk warrior successfully rebuilt the directory, great, problem likely fixed. If it starts registering disk malfunctions, let the diagnostics run until they finish, could be hours or days. You may get the option to recover data from a disk preview. If unsuccessful run data rescue. If this recovers your data, great. Both disk warrior and data rescue are commercial applications. If data rescue doesn't recover the data and the data has sufficient value, source a clean room data recovery company, this is expensive. If the hard drive isn't seen by disk utility, remove it, mount it in a caddy or usb case, see if a mac can see it. No Mac, you have a problem. If you get access to a Mac and the Mac doesn't see it, revert back to a potential clean room recovery. If the Mac does see the drive and it checks out ok, you likely have a cable problem, source, replace and problem solved. There's no easy way to recover data. The easy part is replacing a failed hard drive and reinstalling the OS.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

harry said to buy a system disc from apple for $20 i need 10.6 the paperwork to the computer says 10.6 will the system disc do any good?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
i dont have a macbook i have a pc.....im trying to fix this macbook sorry lol
The thread title, post #1, and post #8...you mentioned that you have a MacBook Pro. Then in post #10 you say..."i dont have a macbook i have a pc". What does this mean??

When you make statements like this...you're only going to completely confuse everyone who is trying to help you.

If by "PC" you mean a Windows computer...the Windows computer is going to be a no help whatsoever in solving the problems with your MacBook Pro.

As harryb2448 recommended...get the OS 10.6 install disk from Apple. This will give you a good place to start.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
harry said to buy a system disc from apple for $20 i need 10.6 the paperwork to the computer says 10.6 will the system disc do any good?
Yes it will help. You need something to boot the computer with & install the OS from. The "system disk" will allow you to boot the computer (from the disk) and install the OS (10.6).

At this point the MacBook Pro's hard drive is either dead...or it needs an OS installed on it (that's why you're seeing the "?" question mark). Without the "system disk" to boot the computer from...at this point...you will not know if the hard drive is dead...or just needs the OS installed.

Get the OS 10.6 install disk (system disk).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Crucifictionxx

will the system disk repair the hardrive or just start over? cause i need the files off of it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just purchased a new MBP 13", adding SSD | Dead Late 2011 MBP »