New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Buring cd images

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xanotos

xanotos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33gig/Power Mac G4 500mhz/ imac G3 600mhz

Hi all,

I'm new to Mac and got some games for my son to play on my ibook and was wondering if I could burn an image of them so I don't have to swap the disc everytime he wants to play a different game.

Will toast 7 do this?

Thanks in advance,

David
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I don't believe this is possible, even with Toast.
Well, it IS possible, but all you'll have is a disk image that does nothing.

The code in the game will look for the info on "disk2s2" which is usually your CD/DVD drive. So if there's not a disk in the computer, the game won't run.

I've been trying to do this too.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually you can do this fairly easily.
Pop the original disc in and select the 'copy' tab.
Then from the File menu, select 'Save as disc image'.

This will generate a .toast file of the game. To mount it, you then have to ctrl click the file in the finder and select 'Mount it' from the contextual menu. (Or double click it, wait for toast to open and then press the 'mount' button that pops up.

It is then mounted as an actual CD, not a .dmg and most games can't tell the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I tried that and the game still wouldn't recognize it, I'm fairly positive that *certain* games look to the disk drive no matter what. I've been trying to find a way to "trick" RollerCoasterTycoon3 into looking at that mounted disk image, but no luck.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

It can be done with Disk Utility or Toast, I have used both for games and have never had a problem with either app.
The games only look for the mounted image, not the drive itself. If you made a complete copy of the original disk image then you should be fine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
xanotos

xanotos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33gig/Power Mac G4 500mhz/ imac G3 600mhz

Cool!!! Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Actually you can do this fairly easily.
Pop the original disc in and select the 'copy' tab.
Then from the File menu, select 'Save as disc image'.

This will generate a .toast file of the game. To mount it, you then have to ctrl click the file in the finder and select 'Mount it' from the contextual menu. (Or double click it, wait for toast to open and then press the 'mount' button that pops up.

It is then mounted as an actual CD, not a .dmg and most games can't tell the difference.
I don't know if I should've ejected the cd before I tried mounting the .toast file or not. However, I've been clicking mount and it does to my desktop and then when I click on it it just opens toast. No game runs or anything. Sadness (lol). I'm miffed though, any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Do you get the CD icon though?

It should mount a regular CD volume...
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Do you get the CD icon though?

It should mount a regular CD volume...

What I got was a toast icon, meaning an icon that when clicked opens up in toast. When toast opens up it gives me the option to mount but nothing happens that I can tell.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Did you try right clicking it? Doing that gives me a 'Mount it' command that makes it show up as a CD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is my powerbook dead? | Ibook g4 gray screen »