New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro early 2008 won't work on battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yesat

Yesat is on a distinguished road

Hello,
My 5 years old Macbook pro has trouble with the battery: even if it is fully charged, I can use it only 2 minutes on battery before it shut itself down. The battery is shown full, I get no warning at all.

I considering buying a new one, but if it is fixable quickly, I'd rather stick to it.

It's has been repaired once, motherboard failure, covered by the warranty and I upgrade it last year with a 750 Gb HDD+SSD combi, more ram and a brand new battery.

Can someone help me ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Download Coconut Battery and check the health of your battery.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Yesat

The battery is at 40%, 2239 mAh when 5600 mAh are planed. I haven't really taken care of it, with 237 cycle in one year.

But two month ago, I could still use my computer on battery for about an hour, before it is drain. Now I have only two minutes of usage before my computer shut itself down and the battery is still at 98%.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You need a new battery. Also, the battery showing 98% is misleading. Consider this: With your battery registering only less than 50% of its rated mAh, multiply that by the 98% or what it's shows that's left, and you can see that the battery is ready for replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
Yesat

Ok thanks,
I would just change the battery, it's still 0.04-0.05% the price of a new mac. I want to keep my Macbook for my bachelor, two years to go.

(it probably won't last that long)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesat View Post
Ok thanks,
I would just change the battery, it's still 0.04-0.05% the price of a new mac.
New battery's from Apple cost around $129. That's not 0.04-0.05% the price of a new mac.

Your 2008 MBP has a current used value in the neighborhood of $400. A new battery from Apple will cost $129 + tax. So that new battery cost is approx. 33% the value of your used 2008 MBP.

But I do agree with chscag...it sounds like your battery is gone.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Yesat

I messed around with the percent.
For me it was 5% (6% actually, haven't check the battery price) of a new MBP/MBA, which is around 2000$ (between 1500 and 2500) here in Switzerland with 10% down of the Education offer.
And if I take a new make, I would keep this one as a media center or something like this.

Thanks a lot again.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If I were you, I would go for a knock off battery. You can find plenty of them on either eBay, or Amazon. I've seen knock off batteries for various Apple notebook models go for as little as $50. Since your MacBook Pro is a 2008 model, it won't matter if you buy an exact Apple replacement or not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safe Mode works, but Install Discs do not i can listen the chime | Strange slowing freezing issue silver key MBP »