New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro (Late)2009 Edition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ArcAngel2013

ArcAngel2013 is on a distinguished road

Hello. I have a question and need some assistance. I recently went to the Apple store to check my Mac Book Pro 15 in. as it seems that the keyboard and track pad wasn't responding. I pressed letters of the keyboard with the end result being that some worked and some didn't come up. One or two, when pressed, would come out as many. R=RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR with one press. I tried rebooting, but now I can't even login in to the computer. The results at the Apple Store were of liquid damage. It will cost me 1200 to 1300 dollars to repair my much needed machine, but I do not have that kind of money. So as of right now, my computer is non-functional, though it turns on and is ready to use not including the keyboard itself or the track pad. I am looking in to purchasing an external keyboard (USB) and mouse. Will that work as a suitable replacement or will it come to no avail?
-Thank you for your honesty!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel2013 View Post
am looking in to purchasing an external keyboard (USB) and mouse. Will that work as a suitable replacement or will it come to no avail?
This was what I was going to suggest...so good idea! As far as predicting will it work...it's very hard to say.

The keys on a laptop computer are semi-mechanical devices...so that liquid spill may have damaged them or the electronic contacts under them.

If the computer is working fine otherwise...I would say using an external keyboard has a good chance of working...but no guarantees. The only guarantee to avoid problems is...don't spill liquids on laptop computers!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ArcAngel2013

ArcAngel2013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This was what I was going to suggest...so good idea! As far as predicting will it work...it's very hard to say.

The keys on a laptop computer are semi-mechanical devices...so that liquid spill may have damaged them or the electronic contacts under them.

If the computer is working fine otherwise...I would say using an external keyboard has a good chance of working...but no guarantees. The only guarantee to avoid problems is...don't spill liquids on laptop computers!

- Nick
Thank you very much, Nick! I will try and see...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Fingers crossed it works as electronics + liquid = death all too often alas. Time will tell.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I have seen astronomical Genius Bar quotes for liquid damaged MacBook Pro's. In two recent cases they quoted for logic board, top case with keyboard, memory, optical drive and hard drive. In reality one needed a top case with keyboard, the other also needed a top case with keyboard and trackpad, both economical repairs. Going by some quotes, it appears they just don't want to know about liquid damage. Liquid damage is usually terminal, but not in every case.

For the original poster, as said in other posts, there's a very good chance using an external keyboard and mouse will work. If a key on the MacBook Pro later sticks on, or the power button fails you have a problem. Even then there's ways around it, internally disconnecting the keyboard and power switch cable, and soldering wires onto the logic board power on contacts, and connecting these to an external momentary make switch. Messy, but it will work along side the external mouse and keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel2013 View Post
The results at the Apple Store were of liquid damage. It will cost me 1200 to 1300 dollars to repair my much needed machine, but I do not have that kind of money

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
I have seen astronomical Genius Bar quotes for liquid damaged MacBook Pro's.
Agreed! I think that the the repair quote of $1200-$1300 the OP got for a 2009 MacBook Pro is out of sight.

That computer is probably only worth $500-$600 (100% working)...maybe. So certainly NOT a repair job to move forward with.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP memory/back case upgrade...??? | Can a mid-2009 MBP output audio through displayport? »