MacBook Pro (Late)2009 Edition

Hello. I have a question and need some assistance. I recently went to the Apple store to check my Mac Book Pro 15 in. as it seems that the keyboard and track pad wasn't responding. I pressed letters of the keyboard with the end result being that some worked and some didn't come up. One or two, when pressed, would come out as many. R=RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR with one press. I tried rebooting, but now I can't even login in to the computer. The results at the Apple Store were of liquid damage. It will cost me 1200 to 1300 dollars to repair my much needed machine, but I do not have that kind of money. So as of right now, my computer is non-functional, though it turns on and is ready to use not including the keyboard itself or the track pad. I am looking in to purchasing an external keyboard (USB) and mouse. Will that work as a suitable replacement or will it come to no avail?
    -Thank you for your honesty!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcAngel2013 View Post
    am looking in to purchasing an external keyboard (USB) and mouse. Will that work as a suitable replacement or will it come to no avail?
    This was what I was going to suggest...so good idea! As far as predicting will it work...it's very hard to say.

The keys on a laptop computer are semi-mechanical devices...so that liquid spill may have damaged them or the electronic contacts under them.

If the computer is working fine otherwise...I would say using an external keyboard has a good chance of working...but no guarantees. The only guarantee to avoid problems is...don't spill liquids on laptop computers!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This was what I was going to suggest...so good idea! As far as predicting will it work...it's very hard to say.

The keys on a laptop computer are semi-mechanical devices...so that liquid spill may have damaged them or the electronic contacts under them.

If the computer is working fine otherwise...I would say using an external keyboard has a good chance of working...but no guarantees. The only guarantee to avoid problems is...don't spill liquids on laptop computers!

- Nick
    Thank you very much, Nick! I will try and see...

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Fingers crossed it works as electronics + liquid = death all too often alas. Time will tell.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    I have seen astronomical Genius Bar quotes for liquid damaged MacBook Pro's. In two recent cases they quoted for logic board, top case with keyboard, memory, optical drive and hard drive. In reality one needed a top case with keyboard, the other also needed a top case with keyboard and trackpad, both economical repairs. Going by some quotes, it appears they just don't want to know about liquid damage. Liquid damage is usually terminal, but not in every case.

For the original poster, as said in other posts, there's a very good chance using an external keyboard and mouse will work. If a key on the MacBook Pro later sticks on, or the power button fails you have a problem. Even then there's ways around it, internally disconnecting the keyboard and power switch cable, and soldering wires onto the logic board power on contacts, and connecting these to an external momentary make switch. Messy, but it will work along side the external mouse and keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcAngel2013 View Post
    The results at the Apple Store were of liquid damage. It will cost me 1200 to 1300 dollars to repair my much needed machine, but I do not have that kind of money
    Steve
    UK

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
    I have seen astronomical Genius Bar quotes for liquid damaged MacBook Pro's.
    Agreed! I think that the the repair quote of $1200-$1300 the OP got for a 2009 MacBook Pro is out of sight.

That computer is probably only worth $500-$600 (100% working)...maybe. So certainly NOT a repair job to move forward with.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information