New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Using Snow Leopard in 2013

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AndrewGomes

AndrewGomes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8

Does anyone is still using Snow Leopard on their machines? Having the need of running some PowerPC software on my MacBook makes me not wanting to upgrade to Lion (I cannot run ML), so we are in 2013 and I ask are there people still using Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Lots of folks are still using Snow Leopard. If you have PowerPC applications that you have to run, then Snow Leopard is as far as you can upgrade and still use the older apps. Be advised though, that in the future Snow Leopard may be outmoded. OS X Mavericks will be out sometime later this year which will put Snow Leopard users even further behind.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Snow Leopard in my opinion...is still perfectly usable in 2013.

Big reasons folks up grade their OS are:

- new features in the newer OS versions (not always a big deal)
- compatibility with newer hardware (phones, printers, iPads, etc.)
- compatibility with newer software versions (for example, Adobe CS6 may need an OS version newer than 10.6)

Since you still need compatibility with older PPC apps...you have a very good reason to continue using Snow Leopard.

The other question you have to ask yourself...is there anything you currently can't do that you want to do with your computer running Snow Leopard? The answer to this (for you) should answer your own question.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewGomes

AndrewGomes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 4,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GBs RAM, OS X 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Snow Leopard in my opinion...is still perfectly usable in 2013.

Big reasons folks up grade their OS are:

- new features in the newer OS versions (not always a big deal)
- compatibility with newer hardware (phones, printers, iPads, etc.)
- compatibility with newer software versions (for example, Adobe CS6 may need an OS version newer than 10.6)

Since you still need compatibility with older PPC apps...you have a very good reason to continue using Snow Leopard.

The other question you have to ask yourself...is there anything you currently can't do that you want to do with your computer running Snow Leopard? The answer to this (for you) should answer your own question.

- Nick
Not at the moment, oh and Photoshop CS6 requires 10.6.6 so yes It's compatible with Snow Leopard.

Obs: I posted this thread in the wrong fórum, sorry
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGomes View Post
Not at the moment, oh and Photoshop CS6 requires 10.6.6 so yes It's compatible with Snow Leopard.
Good deal...I was just using CS6 as a quick example (I thought that it needed something newer than SL). My point is...some newer software NEEDS OS 10.7 or 10.8...and that would be one reason why some folks would NEED to upgrade their OS to something newer than Snow Leopard.

But if you are not in this group (which it sounds like you aren't)...then you are "good to go" for the moment.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

I'm back to Snow Leopard..

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
Postoak

Postoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", 3.33Ghz Intel, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, / White MacBook, 2.4Ghz Intel, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb HD

I have Snow Leopard on 3 MacBooks and 2 iMacs and will keep them on it until the hardware goes out, then I guess I will be too old to compute anyway. Stay with SL IMO.

chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

According to Net Marketshare, back in January of this year Snow Leopard accounted for about 30 percent of the Mac installed base:

Report: Mountain Lion overtakes predecessors in OS X share | MacNN

It's growth rate, however, suggested that by now Snow would be down to 25 percent or less, which I think is a safe assumption.

What I find endlessly amusing is that when Snow Leopard first came out, there was SO MUCH HATE and wailing and gnashing of teeth about its compatibility with apps, but now it's the "golden child" that was close to perfect and people will never give it up.

Personally I am LOVING Mountain Lion and can't wait for Mavericks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Chas, I know what you mean. I loved SL though and never had issues with it. I have moved on to Lion and ML on most machines but I have a small install of SL for older Apps and Rosetta just in case.

ML is an excellent OS though for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm religious about keeping my apps up to date so the loss of Rosetta was basically a non-issue for me. On occasion I get an itch to play an OS 9 game so I just fire up Sheepshaver.

As I just said in another thread I think SL is the best OS version for 2006-2007 Intel Macs, even if they can run Lion. But broadly speaking, staying put is a bad idea in the technology world ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Who's still using the White MacBook (non-unibody) | 2011 17" MBP caught fire this morning »